What temp to dry hop at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I usually just throw my dry hops in around 68F or so. Should I be chilling the beer down to around 58ish so that I dont get that vegetable flavor? I never considered doing that until someone asked me as what temp I dry hop at. Any thoughts on this?

It does seem that if you dryhop at higher temps for an extended time, some hops may throw grassy flavors. That being said, you should have no problem going 5-7 days at room temp. I dry hop in the keg at 42f for weeks on end with no problem.

_

I was listening to CYBI: The Dankness last weekend, and I can't remember who said they dry-hop at fermentation temps, and had a muted character from dry-hopping at cold-crash temps. I was thinking of doing this for a split batch experiment at some point in the future. I've always dry-hopped in the keg in the keezer.

I was listening to <a href="http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/813">CYBI: The Dankness</a> last weekend, and I can't remember who said they dry-hop at fermentation temps, and had a muted character from dry-hopping at cold-crash temps. I was thinking of doing this for a split batch experiment at some point in the future. I've always dry-hopped in the keg in the keezer.

That seems to be my experience as well. Dryhopping at 65-68 for a week gives "in your face" hops aroma that I love. Adding the hops to the keg and keeping at 40 degrees, even for 3 weeks, gives great hop flavor and aroma but more muted and definitely not vegetal or grassy.

I dry hop between 64 and 68 and I get amazing aroma/flavor and no grassy or veggie out of it.

Hello everyone. I recently did an IPA dry-hopped with 3 oz of noble hops (1 oz each Hallertau, Czech Saaz, Tettnanger) I had it for a week at mid 70's temperature and I barely got any aroma (i.e. I had to swirl my wine glass and sniff like crazy to percieve any aroma, although the little aroma I did percieve was quite pleasant).

I thought that by dry-hopping cooler next time I could get more aroma, but if it gets muted with the cold (from what I have just read here) I may not want to try this and just dry-hop at fermentation temperature for two weeks instead of one. Maybe it also depends on the type of hops as well. (I must also mention I FWH with the same amounts and varieties of hops with no flameout or late additions, so I believe that what little aroma I got was from the dry-hops).

Reviving this thread. Does temp fluctuation matter much assuming that fermentation is all but done when transferred to a secondary for dry hopping? I have one fermwrap, but was hoping to have my amber in the primary when my rye ipa is dry hopping in a secondary. Would need the temp control on the primary of the amber, leaving the dryhopping IPA w/o any temp control other than room temp (which shouldn't fluctuate wildly)

I think the consensus is that as long as the temps dont get to warm and you dont let the hops sit to long it should be fine.

Reviving this thread. Does temp fluctuation matter much assuming that fermentation is all but done when transferred to a secondary for dry hopping? I have one fermwrap, but was hoping to have my amber in the primary when my rye ipa is dry hopping in a secondary. Would need the temp control on the primary of the amber, leaving the dryhopping IPA w/o any temp control other than room temp (which shouldn't fluctuate wildly)

Reviving an old thread:

Does anyone know if this would affect other "dry" additions? I'm adding peppercorns during the secondary but I am on a tight deadline for a competition. I was wondering if it would impart much flavor while cold crashing for only a few days.

I just added a hop sack to my ipa secondary yesterday.
I was planning on letting it sit around 65-68 until next weekend then kegging/cold crashing for another week around 40deg before carbonating.

Back