Pear juice in the Uk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderinmyshed

Reaction score
After attempting my first batch of turbo cider last october, (using farmfoods apple juice from concentrate at £0.59/litre, the cheapest i could find), I have gone through quite a few 1 gallon batches, messing around adding sugars/golden sirup/honey and other fruit juices (I recommend adding cranberry or a hint of pineapple), priming with different amounts etc...
However I thought I'd give a shot at making pear cider (or at least a pear/apple blend). So unable to find anywhere which would sell me pear juice in the carton, I headed to ASDA and bought around 3 kilos of pears (ASDA's own brand turned out the cheapest). Which a press at hand I got out the food processor and got to work, two hours later (and only half way through the pears) I noticed my gallon demijohn was looking rather full. So added a litre of welches' white grape, pear and apple juice to it (the closest thing i to actual pear juice I could find, without apparently doesn't have much pear in it anyway), and topped it up with a bit of apple juice. An hour later and I had finished with another demijohn full of the same mixture. I pitched the yeast and crossed my fingers.
The next day and the predictable had happened, the mixture contained too much solids and the CO2 had lifted some of it through the air lock, glorious. Anyway, I cleaned it up and it calmed down and is still fermenting now. It tasted alright when i tried it and I look forward to filtering out the solids and bottling.
Any thoughts?
I thought it was a bit messy, and the food processor probably didn't does as well as I was hoping, does anyone know where you can buy ready made pear juice or even juice concentrate in the UK or online?

I spotted last week that the farmers market in Oxford (while hunting for cheap honey) that there was a guy selling pear juice (2 bottles for £3 i think, looked like 750ml bottles). Was tempted to pick a few up myself but dont have any fermenters free at the moment.

I'm not suggesting you drive down here, but I guess you could check the internet to see if Manchester has any farmers markets about. Would have thought there would at least be some in the outskirts?

The only pear juice I know of is Copella Apple and Pear, but as I just found out buying their apple juice for my cyser, 4 litres of it will set you back about £15...

You a student up there? Went to Manchester Uni a couple of years back. Loved it up there :D

Student, yes, I'm in Lancaster though I'm afraid, I was a bit lazy filling in my details.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look around any markets, here in Lancaster is pretty useless though. As for the copella, looks a little out of my price range, you're easily better off buying cider for that price, and that defeats the point a little for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't make a cider out of Copella either, I was making a Cyser (apple mead), which makes it a bit more cost effective, though only just! I guess you could see if anywhere on the internet has some that provides cheap (or free?) shipping?

Latest posts

Back