Two batches will wear me out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
Dang i'm tired. Got up at 6 this morning to brew two batches back to back. I know it's not super labor intensive but i'm shot. The first was a chocolate stout which i just pitched the yeast, and i'm 15 minutes in to the boil on an IPA right now. What did everyone else brew today?

Wow!! Why so long?

I brewed a 'bavarian wheat' extract batch today that Midwest sent me by accident. I hadn't even ordered ingredients, but they came with the mash paddle and CO2 T-junction that I had ordered.

Win!!

yeah 2 will kick your tale! i did double batches a few times. an early start might help. but still it's alot of work!

I don't know about you guys, but my ankles are killing me by the end of one batch. I need to invest in a brew stool.

+1 on the brew stool! I got up at 6 but didn't really get started until 9ish. It also sucks being outside, it's about 15 here with wind.

that is true.. I just pitched the yeast a little while ago. I really underestimated my efficiency, by probly 10%!! so i instead of getting a 1.070 IPA i got 1.085! I decided to ride it out instead of boiling water to dilute. I ran the O2 for a long time and had a huge starter ready, and mashed really high. I hope it all goes well. If not i will know next time.

I once thought it would be fun to brew two extract batches, and mix a batch of wine. I was so buzzed and tired by the time the wine was started I spilled 1/4 of the juice all over the garage floor :) OOPS

Oh well it all turned out ok though....

I try to always do double brew days (or triple if I count an apfelwein). For double I begin to steep the grains at about 30 minutes left on primary boil. I have two boil pots now (soon to be three if I get my keggle up and running) so it makes it easier. During boil/wait times I sit back and watch tv in my kitchen or start up some apfelwein and cook something in the crockpot or smoker.

Remember just like ANY hard work the end always pay off.. instead of one batch of brew you can have two with just another hour or so in the kitchen.... so worth it :)

I try to always do double brew days (or triple if I count an apfelwein). For double I begin to steep the grains at about 30 minutes left on primary boil. I have two boil pots now (soon to be three if I get my keggle up and running) so it makes it easier. During boil/wait times I sit back and watch tv in my kitchen or start up some apfelwein and cook something in the crockpot or smoker.

Remember just like ANY hard work the end always pay off.. instead of one batch of brew you can have two with just another hour or so in the kitchen.... so worth it :)

This is so true... the best way to do multiple batches is to lap them as much as possable. For instance, right when I start getting my first batch up to a boil on the bayou burner, i have another pot inside heating up the second batchs strike water. By the time it comes up to a boil outside, I'm mashing in inside.

Yea, a double brewday can be a doozy. But it's also pretty awesome when you have two fermenters bubbling side by side, and if need be, they can share a single container of water for their blowoff tubes (kinky, I know). The one time I've done a double AG brewday, I started at 7:30AM, and finished around 8:30PM after cleanup. My back was hurting so bad it took me 30 minutes to sit right afterwards. Even after all of this, one of the two brews ended up sucking in the end...sucked hardcore.

I brewed a pale of some sort today. I awoke to fresh snow, blue sky, and my HLT was outside from a couple days ago with 9G of 80F water in it. Bingo! It felt like the easiest AG brewday yet, and I even found the time to make three batches of spent grain dog cookies too.

Back