Stainless BB Filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I have been trying to think of a way to use a larger size (7.5 or 10 gallon) corny keg as a mash tun without altering it. The trouble is that it's obviously impossible to put a false bottom or manifold into a corny without cutting the top off. I'm wondering if leaving the dip tube in and filling the bottom of the corny with stainless BBs would give you enough filtration and prevent channeling well enough to run the wort out through the dip tube. Anyone tried this / have any thoughts?

Not knocking the idea as I think it sounds good but 2 things I would think you need to sort:
1)some way to keep the BB on the bottom when you stir the mash and
2)some way to not have the BB mix with the spent grain when emptying

I thought of those two things. I was thinking maybe some large magnets stuck to the bottom might do the trick.

I thought of those two things. I was thinking maybe some large magnets stuck to the bottom might do the trick.

What grade of SS are the BBs? They might not be magnetic (I don't know :eek:).
I was thinking if you put them in a small grainbag and then tie that around the bottom of your dip tube.

Hmmm, the idea has merit for sure. Could you put a SS Braid on the bottom of the diptube? The SS BB's won't be magnetic so you wouldn't be able to use a magnet, copper wouldn't work either.

Braid on the dip tube is an interesting thought. Next time I brew I will try that with spent grain and one of my 5 gallon cornies. Thanks!

Back