Underpitching Berliner Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Berliner Weisse today and managed to get 6 gallons of 1.033 wort in the primary. I pitched Wyeast 3191-PC as is (no starter). The yeast was manufactured in July as part of the platinum collection. I'm guessing the normal yeast in there is pretty beat down, which should give the bugs a chance.

Do the bugs die off the same way yeast does as it ages? Should I be looking to pitch something else to give it a boost?

I emailed Wyeast directly as I bought a pack of the blend about two weeks ago. I was told that it should be fine to still directly pitch — the only reason it'll get a slow start is that there is a high ratio of lactobacillus to yeast. Lactobacillus generally works better at higher temperatures—higher than the suggested range of 68-72—which also contributes to the slow start.

Mine is 7 days in and the vigorous fermentation has subsided and it's down to 1.010. It took ~3.5 days to really get going. Now it has a rather ugly looking krausen/pellicle thing going on identicle to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/index3.html#post2077581

I initially put some heat on it (heating pad) to get to to ~76, but couldn't really get it any warmer. Most of the fermentation happened at 70 and now it's down to 68.

The sample I tried tonight is just a little sour, a nice pleasant taste and it has a big wheaty flavor right now. It will take some time to get fully sour. It's also absurdly cloudy -- more so than anything I've ever seen.

I just pitched* mine yesterday into 5.5 gallons of 1.030 wort around ~64 in a water bath around the same temperature (it gets hot in my apartment.) It has since warmed up to 68. I'm beginning to see tiny islands of what look like lactobacillus on the surface; no krausen though. Then again, it looks like my pack was manufactured in September, so there's probably a bit more viability than yours.

I found out that the temperature range is to keep the lactobacillus active, but not enough to produce too much acid and disrupt the yeast:

If fermentation temperature exceeds 68F, the Lactobacillus may produce too much acid too quickly and retard the performance of the ale yeast. The following is an example of the brewing techniques used for Berliner weisse.
They also suggest bottling quickly after primary is done when doing lacto + yeast, but waiting 3-18 months on the bottles. I wonder if this is due to the lactobacillus working in an anaerobic environment and the yeast being less active? I'm not going to do it with this blend though given that there is brett in it...

Also, about the cloudy wort, I was a bit freaked out to see that most of the wort I was putting into the ferment looked grey, it's cleared up a bit now and resembles the cloudy yellowish tint I've come to expect.

*By the way, did you smack pack smell incredibly brett-y when you opened it? That was something I wasn't expecting yesterday when I went to pitch mine.

Back