Mini-Mash Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
Okay, I have a couple of questions about creating a mini-mash recipe.

For a standard 5 gallon batch, what amounts of LME and grains should be used? I've done some research, and my best guess would be 5 lbs. of LME and approx 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. of grains. Does this sound right?

Second, how much water would be used for the grains?

Next, of the total 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. of grain, I understand that roughly 2 lbs. should be a base grain, and the rest can be made up of various specialty grains. Is this the correct ratio?

Last, can someone point me to a good resource to describe what grains mix well together? I'm confused as to what base malt would mix well with certain specialty grains, etc.

Thanks all!

:mug:

For a standard 5 gallon batch, what amounts of LME and grains should be used? I've done some research, and my best guess would be 5 lbs. of LME and approx 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. of grains. Does this sound right?

Next, of the total 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. of grain, I understand that roughly 2 lbs. should be a base grain, and the rest can be made up of various specialty grains. Is this the correct ratio?

It all depends on your recipe. My old partial mash rule of thumb was this - for however much specialty grain I'm using, use as much base grain. So If you're using 2 pounds of specialty grain, use 2 pounds of base grain. I can't be more specific than that without knowing more about what you want to make.

Second, how much water would be used for the grains?

It can vary, but 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain in your mash is a good starting point. Sparge with as much water needed to reach your boil volume if you're doing a partial boil.

Last, can someone point me to a good resource to describe what grains mix well together? I'm confused as to what base malt would mix well with certain specialty grains, etc.

That's not really my forte, so I'll let someone else answer that. But, again, I think it depends on what kind of beer you want to make.

Thanks, mojotele. I'm looking to brew a brown ale with big malty flavors. I don't like hoppy beers, so preferrably something with little hops.

I like the bread/toasty taste in beer, with caramel, chocolate/coffee, etc. I don't want something quite as dark as a stout or a porter, just a nice brown ale.

I've found that the Austin Homebrew website has a pretty decent description of each grain, so i've been using that.

I was thinking about using 2 lbs. of Vienna malt as the base, and then the following for specialty grains;
8 oz. biscuit malt
6 oz. brown malt
4 oz. Carapils
6 oz. chocolate malt
6 oz. pale chocolate

I've never crafted a recipe, but reading the descriptions of each of these grains sounds like it would make something that I would like.

I have no idea what grains go well with other grains, etc.

Is this a viable recipe?

Feel free to critique. I'm still researching this method of brewing.

Zamial; thanks for the links. Deathbrewer's posts have been a wealth of info.

Back