Crap! I'm a convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I've never been much of an IPA fan. PAs sometimes, if and only if English hops were used. Give me dark, malty ales.

Today I made the roady to a conference with a couple other guys. One's sick, the other doesn't drink. So I ended up at the bar by myself.

Saw a new local microbrew beer on the menu I wasn't familiar with, so I ordered it. Turns out it's a double IPA.

My first double IPA.

**** it's good. Better than any regular IPA i've ever had. I even think it's CTZ hopped. And I've never liked CTZ.

Crap, I'm a convert.

What's the name of the beer that opened the door? Sounds like this will definitely expand your beer styles, both in terms of what you brew and what you try. There are so many heavily-hopped beers out there, you've got an adventure in front of you. How's the beer scene in SLC by the way? I used to live in Park City. Cheers!

I was the same way. Loved stouts and porters and some pale ales, but IPA's were nothing but CRAP. Then I found a good one. Then another. and another. Now I love 'em!

There's not a whole lot it terms of breweries. But there are a lot of excellent brew pubs. My favorites in order:

1. Uinta
2. Park city brewing company (which for some reason is in Moab)
3. Squatters
4. Red Rock
5. Hoops
6. Wasatch

it was Squatter's Hop Rising.

It can sneak up on you that way. Try Bells Two-hearted IPA, and their Hopslam IIPA. Foudner's Double Trouble is nice. Goose Island has a very good IPA. And I also like Point's Cascade Pale Ale. Not really an IPA, but a very tasty pale ale. And you can't miss the hops.

Hop Zombie... Is that like Rob Zombie's cousin?

I'm definitly going to track down some more double IPAs and try them out. Thanks for the recommends.

CTZ is Columbus-Tomahawk-Zeus.

If you're looking for IIPA's and like one with a solid malty backbone I'd suggest DFH 90-minute. Congrats on the start of your journey! I'm an IPA / IIPA freak so I can only tell you that you have a wonderful road ahead of you. :mug:

I've started "experimenting" with various PAs, IPAs, Extra IPAs, and DIPAs. I went down to the store and bought about 18 different varieties.

So far I've discovered:
1. I still only like English hopped PAs.
2. I still dislike all IPAs.
3. I have enjoyed all DIPAs so far.

If the ABV is above 8% and the IBUs are above 70, I like it. If its below that threshold, I don't like it. So I'm trying to figure out what it is about DIPAs that I'm enjoying so much.

Do DIPAs have a different GU to BU ratio that IBUs? Are DIPAs more aggressively dry hopped? Do DIPAs have more apparent residual sweetness because of the higher FG? Could it be that DIPAs are somewhat similar in profile to Barleywines, which I know I like? Or do I just like really aggressively flavored beers.

BTW, I'm enjoying Dechutes' Hop Henge right now.

So I'm trying to figure out what it is about DIPAs that I'm enjoying so much.

My guess is, considering you like English hopped PAs, and don't like IPAs, but do like DIPAs is that you like an IPA (or DIPA for that matter) with a solid malt backbone. English PAs in general focus more on a solid malt structure than hops in comparison to American IPAs which many times can be dryer and lighter in body and very heavy handed on hops. This is also true (the malt backbone) with most DIPAs (and barleywines). You need to be able to smooth out higher ABV.

It also very well could be that you prefer English hops over American hop flavors, but my guess is you can find some great American DIPAs that you love too.

Thanks.

I do like European hops more than American hops. And I tend to really dislike Cascade and its varieties. However all the DIPAs I have had have been American hopped. Hop Henge, which I'm still enjoying, is Centennial and Cascade.

The maltier backbone makes sense too. I normally like maltier beers.

Back