Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about to be three weeks since I brewed my "lambic" with wild yeast. I tasted it last week and it reminded me a lot of a belgian trippel, and had some alcohol bite to it. I didn't smell or taste any sulfur. It was really clean.

I am wondering what to do going forward. I am certain I will be splitting the batch, souring one and keeping the other batch clean.

For the clean batch, should I age it or keg and drink it in a few weeks? I am concerned that the beer might develop off flavors down the road.

For the sour batch, I'm thinking of adding some Brett Trois and oak cubes soaked in Cabernet sauvignon, potentially adding fruit at some point. Would there be enough for the brett to eat after primary?

Any tips are welcomed. Thanks!

A2AF8D6F-CE95-45A5-9CDF-30FFF1BD5126_zpsgwrch5wx.jpg

I've tried to capture wild yeasts for beer a few times now. This last attempt was the closest I've come. Unhopped wort snuck from my last brew placed in a jar with a bit of cotton over the top next to an open window.
Day three: what looked like yeasty bubbly goodness on top. Success!
Day four: mould central.

I think I need to try a different position in my home perhaps as I've ended up with mould a couple of times now.

Any tips anyone?

Why cover it with cotton--you WANT something to get in there.

For my first capture i just put warm wort in a 1 gallon jug, let it cool, drove it to a good windy location (Twin Peaks in SF), parked, and opened the lid (thsssp, as it sucked in air) and let it sit in the wind blowing up the hill for an hour.

Why cover it with cotton--you WANT something to get in there.

For my first capture i just put warm wort in a 1 gallon jug, let it cool, drove it to a good windy location (Twin Peaks in SF), parked, and opened the lid (thsssp, as it sucked in air) and let it sit in the wind blowing up the hill for an hour.

The cotton is mostly because of bugs, of which there are many here. Maybe since I've had it open for a bit I could cap it and see what has begun growing.

I'll keep trying I guess. :mug:

Trying to catch some wild yeasties up here in Alaska. Hopefully ill have some luck, i left some wort out overnight the other day and now its sitting inside.
All i have in the area of foliage right now is pine needles, so i threw some of those into some wort too. Maybe ill get some activity! Fingers crossed

WOW COOL! I wasnt expecting much with the wort, but i have some activity! The pine needles arent doing anything at all, but the other jar that i left out overnight now has a little bit of activity going on in there! I am super excited about it lol! What a great idea, i am thinking that i will try to catch a couple different yeasties or bacterias over the summer.

Haven't made it through this whole thread yet, but I've read several articles on capturing wild cultures and I haven't been able to answer this question yet. At the beginning of the article is this list of timelines for various fermenters:

(3 to 7 days) Enteric Bacteria and Kloeckera Apiculata
(2 weeks) Saccharomyces
(3 to 4 months) Lactic Acid Bacteria
(8 months) Brettanomyces plus Pichia, Candida, Hansenula and Cryptococcus

My question is: do I need to leave my wort out exposed for 8 months to get brett, or just leave it out overnight and then let it ferment 8 months before the brett will become active?

Alright, tried this again.

Did an extra mini-sparge of grains from my last brew.
Left it in a jar on my kitchen bench overnight.
Put cling fill under loose lid in morning.
Watched it ferment over the next few weeks.
Wacked it in the fridge to inoculate a later 1-Gallon batch.

:) Edit: No mould this time! Yay!

Two months ago I transferred my Wild Lambic to Secondary. The Lambic was already forming a small pellicle at the time of transfer, but here it is two months later:

BA23E356-F3E5-46C8-BE09-98341EC74750_zpsf0sx3aaz.jpg

Around that time I brewed a Saison, and pitched my wild yeast collected from the Lambic along with Brett Trois. I'm excited to see what flavor combination I will get with the two.

I harvested my own yeast from the air a few months back and with it have made fermented beverages and some of the best tasting bread I've ever had. I thought it was kind of odd that people were using agar and whatnot, basically over complicating a very simple process (people have been making bread and beer for a long long long time...), but hey to each his own. I'll just relay what I did. If you're broke like me it's nice because all you need is a glass jar / drinking apparatus. It should be glass so you can see what's going on in there

First I put some water in a cleaned our salsa jar. Then I dumped a spoonful of sugar in it. Then I dumped some ginger juice in (fresh squeezed) because I was intending to make ginger beer. In retrospect, this is probably very important for preventing mold growth, since ginger has a ph in the 5 range. I'd recommend a squirt of lemon juice. Then I put cheesecloth over the top and let it sit on a windowsill open to the late spring air.

I added sugar every day. Maybe a little over a teaspoon. After a few days there was some precipitate in the solution. There was tan crap and white crap on top of the tan crap. I'm guessing the tan crap was bacteria or ginger particles, because I couldn't be arsed to strain it, who knows really, and I'm pretty sure the white crap was yeast. Here's a picture of the precipitate in the highly advanced setup. You can see the white crap on top of the other crap.

jJT4vjK.jpg

After a few days there were some bubbles clinging to the side of the jar, then I never saw them again and to this day I don't. When I stirred the solution it smelled kind of funky. Not bad, like **** scented bacteria, just sort of funky. Can't really explain it. After perhaps a week and a half of giving it a little sugar and a stir every day, it started getting foamy when I stirred it.

VC7yb43.jpg

Looks like piss eh? The smell evolved too. By the end of two weeks it smelled almost yeasty, like bread yeast, and the other funky smell was completely gone. I figured if it smelled like yeast, it was good to go. I'm guessing the yeast outpaced whatever the hell else was living in there. I dumped 3/4ths of the concoction into a ginger beer mixture (more water, ginger juice, lemon juice, sugar) and bottled it. Plastic soda bottles of course, because I'm a poor bastard and can't afford a fancy bottling operation. I had good fermentation within a week, rock hard bottles. I tasted the stuff a month later and it was excellent, perhaps 2% alcohol if I had to guess. Probably could have gone higher, but I stuck it in the fridge after two weeks because I didn't want all the sugar to get eaten.

I saved the remaining 1/4 of the starter, moved it to a clean jar, filled it the rest of the way with water, and repeated the process. Fed it every other day this time, stored it in the 60F basement with a tin foil lid to keep it nice and happy. The smell hasn't changed from bready. When I make actual bread with it, I just dump a few spoonfulls of it into a little container with flour and let it sit for a day or two, then knead it into yeastless bread dough. As you can see in the pic, that yeast is damn hungry. It makes wonderful sour dough, nice and acidic, so there's a happy symbiotic relationship going on in my jars. (I have multiple now, like yeast, they reproduce over time)

6usdvnT.jpg

I think that's all I have to say. If there's anything to take away from this post, it's that all you need for easy yeast is a jar and some sugar water. It's fun and easy to do and I think it's a shame that more people don't have their own personal yeast "plant". :)

Would you guys try harvesting anything in a wine cellar? (with mold on the walls)
Would it be a good idea to put grapes into 70F temp wort to capture wine yeast?

Figured I'd post this since everytime I mention it in the forums I get tons of questions. It's very easy to capture your own wild yeast. This is different than lambic brewing, since you can make "regular" styles with it (with a bit of a twist)! I love using the wild yeast I captured this way, it will eat its way thru anything.

Step 1) Clean & sanitize an empty glass jar.

Step 2) In it mix up a bit of DME with warm water. Not much, you want the gravity of the mixture to be 1.030 at most. You could try boiling it with a bit of hops, but I didn't do it that way.

Step 3) Leave it by an opened window until you start seeing bubbles and foam on top (I think it took me about 2 weeks). Awesome! Your culture of your local wild yeast is ready! You can now use it to start a beer!

How long you leave it out will affect what you get. If you use it right after you first start seeing signs of life (2 weeks) you will just get wild yeast. Leave it out longer and you will get other things in it. This is what happens (from Lambic by Guinard):

(3 to 7 days) Enteric Bacteria and Kloeckera Apiculata
(2 weeks) Saccharomyces
(3 to 4 months) Lactic Acid Bacteria
(8 months) Brettanomyces plus Pichia, Candida, Hansenula and Cryptococcus

Note that a group of microbes take over from the previous one, so for example, at two weeks, Saccaromyces has completely taken over and there is no Enteric Bacteria or Kloeckera left in your culture.

Ok well, now you know everything about capturing your own wild yeast! Hope it helped!

Added this to the wiki

How important is it to use wort? Wouldn't using sugar water be just as effective? I used sugar, water, and grated ginger to capture yeast to use for ginger beer and the soda turned out very sour. I streaked the yeast onto a Petri dish and it most closely resembled pediococcus, which I have read up on and am definitely not going to use by itself.

I find it interesting because pediococcus is (I believe) a lactic bacteria, and my bowl of sugar, water, ginger started bubbling after only 3 or 4 days...

Long story short, why the wort?

I'm just guessing here, but I'd assume that you use wort in the hope of culturing up yeast that favor maltose as apposed to sucrose. But again, I'm just guessing.

How important is it to use wort? Wouldn't using sugar water be just as effective? I used sugar, water, and grated ginger to capture yeast to use for ginger beer and the soda turned out very sour. I streaked the yeast onto a Petri dish and it most closely resembled pediococcus, which I have read up on and am definitely not going to use by itself.

I find it interesting because pediococcus is (I believe) a lactic bacteria, and my bowl of sugar, water, ginger started bubbling after only 3 or 4 days...

Can't answer the wort question, but what temperature did you let your stuff ferment at? I did the same thing with the sugar water, but let it ferment in the basement at 60F for weeks, and it wasn't sour at all. However, when I let some of it sit at room temp (70-90F in summer) it got sour very quickly, depending on how much food it had (this was watered down so it didn't have much alcohol in it). I'm totally new at this but the more I mess around with yeast and bacteria, the more important temperature seems to be in the equation. Lower temps seem to prevent weird flavors, despite taking longer

If you look back a handful of pages I asked a similar question. The first post here has my question and a good answer:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=101886&page=96

Basically, just as Microphobik said.

I was able to isolate a lot of wild strains (on dextrose), but when I grew them in wort, they had very poor attenuation. I finally made plates with DME and was able to isolate a few wild stains (likely Brett) that have good (not great) attenuation that are ALSO sour and don't produce too many unwanted off flavors. I've made really good sours with 2 of these strains.

I've also used these 2 stains together to make a sourdough starter and they produce a super sour bread that has a wonderful crumb.

I have not truly considered the temperature, only time. It grew at room temperature, so about 70-75F. I placed some more yeasts traps outside where it can be anywhere from 80-95F. I will have to experiment with temperature management at some point in the fall or winter... if it gets cold in East Texas this year...

A few weeks ago I read about "wrangling wild yeast" and I thought, that sound like a fun project. I live on the west coast of Canada and was heading to Gabriola island for the weekend and figured what better place to try and catch some little yeast friends.

So I researched how to go about this, I went with the make some wort put it in jars covered with cheese cloth leave them outside over night and see what I catch.

Place one in my inlaws greenhouse, one the patio over looking the ocean, and near an apple tree. For the last, I knew there were grapes that grew on the banks of the ocean and had read they were a great place to find usable yeast. So I picked a bundle and dropped a few into the last jar. After a few days they was mainly signs of mold growning in a couple, dumped them. I read I should wait 2 weeks to be certain. the grapes in the wort had what looked like a little yeast cake at the bottom of the jar. I opened it took a smell and got a pleasant apple aroma! Was this what I was looking for? Will this make good beer or good anything? I've decided to make a little starter and try and step it up some more of my little bugs and see what happens.

I have never done this before and am going off what I've read. The fermented wort tasted good.

Any pointer?

Does it sound like I may have something worth making a small test batch with?

Or did I just drink bacteria filled wort?

This is the starter
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443120486.613260.jpg

Used a paper clip and some gelatin wort mix to streak it and got this
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443120530.317672.jpg

In going to take a single colony and step it up.
Should I try a couple single colonies?

Thanks

You want wort instead of pure sugar, because you're hoping to catch something that survives best in wort. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, put out what you want them to be best at eating.

I'm attempting the 4 hour exposure agar/DME technique right now. I split the DME 'jello' into 3 shallow sterile jars, covered with chessecloth, then left in the back yard yesterday evening for 4-5 hours. I sanitized the cheesecloth first with starsan to prevent organisms coming from it. I used the string-type agar from the chinese market, mixing 100:1 water to agar as per package instructions. Also added a tiny amount of lactic acid (about 0.3ml to 600ml water), hopefully getting to the 5-6 pH range. The agar mixture is quite solid, hopefully not too hard to encourage yeast growth. Jars are indoors now for 2-4 days incubation, covered with sanitized foil. If all goes well, i'll scrape yeast into a small starter using a sanitized paperclip. I'm quite intrigued by this. Fingers crossed!

Also, I made an impromptu collection attempt last weekend in my parents apple orchard. I didn't have access to brewing ingredients that day, so used a simple sugar water and lemon juice solution. A week later and the liquid has gone cloudy. I'm planning to wait a week longer, crash, decant, then streak a clean agar/DME plate with the dregs and see what I get. Hopefully not bubonic plague.

So even though i run a brewery i still love following your guys attempts. It inspired me to try and capture some here to really branch out our styles. Excited to say that I was able to source the same fruit we used for our wines go about it with a leftover hydrosample from a batch of a belgian pale that i whipped up last week. Well check in on it this morning and have a significant krausen layer and its cloudy as a mother when it was clear when i left it. Looks like its moving right along with no signs of mold or other nasties in there which i was super worried about. Ill report back when i can step it up enough to pitch a 3bbl batch with it.

Looks like its moving right along with no signs of mold or other nasties in there which i was super worried about.

Looks like I'm getting both yeast and mold with my attempt. Mold spores are dotted evenly across the surface with yeast steadily filling in. I suspect the yeast will grow over some of the mold due to the even distribution. Wondering if I should start again at lower outdoor temps. It was 25C (75ishF), dropping to 10C in the evening. Perhaps too warm for yeast? Anyway, attaching a couple pics showing progression at the 36 hour mark. First image clearly shows yeast growth. Second image with different lighting shows the mold distribution more clearly.

View attachment 1444677111374.jpg

View attachment 1444677130294.jpg

What do you all think... should I scape the yeast into a small starter or streak it onto fresh agar plate to isolate yeast from mold?

Brewed up a batch on Sunday and fermented it with the descendants of the yeast I captured on Twin Peaks in San Francisco back on 2012-02-26 in an extra gallon of wort I'd brewed.

Guess I should have known to put the blowoff hose in instead of just helpfully on top of the bucket: http://homebrewcrimescenes.tumblr.com/post/131039367815/the-victim-of-vigorous-fermentation

rhys333: I'm for spending less time spinning your wheels and more time making test batches of beer. You don't have to risk a whole batch the first time around, try a growler or gallon or whatever convenient smaller size container you have....hopped wort is going to attract the best sort of attention from the things you want while protecting you (at least somewhat) from the ones you don't.

Agreed don't worry about isolating strains right now have done fun with it see what you can get.

Thanks guys. The plan is to do a small 1-2 gallon batch, 2 Row and wheat, with bittering hops only. I'm not too concerned about isolating strains, but what about that mold in the picture? I'd rather separate it out if I can. I might not be following your suggestion though... are you thinking I lose the agar samples completely and just do an open ferment? If so, unfortunately I'm up north and the furnace kicks in nightimes already. Have an indoor cat too, so I'm thinking open ferment might not be best.

Here's a photo of one of the jars. I collected last night, recovered and this is what it looks like this morning. I'm assuming the yellowish stuff top centre is yeast. Not sure about the lighter film to the right side... still yeast? The dots are clearly mold. It smells quite strongly of belgian or german wheat beer esters. Also a faint hint of blue cheese which must be from the mold.

View attachment 1444751078735.jpg

Hopefully having a hopped medium that the yeast can beat mold to would be enough. That's what I did. But I was taking yeast from the great outdoors, not from my house, hvac, and critters.

I harvested outdoors too. I used lactic acid instead of hops because I wanted to avoid hop particles in the agar. I might try again with hops maybe. My small starter seems to be working though. Think I managed to avoid selecting mold, but I havd no idea how far that stuff spreads. It smells very belgiany

My first attempt at harvesting yeast went like this. I made a half liter 1.030 starter with one hop pellet(16.6%AA) in it, boiled 10mins. I then picked a VERY ripe persimmon off the small persimmon tree in my yard and dropped it in the wort. I am at about 6 days now and I am pretty sure I have yeast but could also have some bacteria too. At first it smelled yeasty/fruity kind of like a Belgian now it is starting to smell more like sour fruit. It also seems to be developing a film on the surface. I am thinking I should let it ride for at least another week and then step it up to a 1 liter starter. A few weeks after that I think I will brew a 1 gallon batch and test it out.

Should I be worried about the fruit being left in there too long? Would this pose any problems?

So I ended up straining the fruit out of my starter when I stepped it up. The film I started to see on the surface never amounted to anything. It looked like an oil slick sort of but was gone in a about 8 hours. I stepped it up to 1.5 liters. The yeast I have work pretty fast compared to the Brett C. I have had going for almost 2 weeks now.
The wild yeast smells like sour apples. It seems to floc very well. I stepped it up to a 1.040 starter to see how it handles the extra alcohol. I will give it another week or so and then taste it. That way I can figure out what to brew with it.

Mine has improved and smells like bread now. It finally kicked off after about a week of sitting and thinking about it. Had good vigorous fermetation for about 1.5 days, decent krausen, ending up with a pitchable amount of nice whitish yeast. Cold crashing now and I'll decant and test tomorrow. If all goes good, I'll pitch into a 1 gallon batch of beer.

interesting thread.
i'll use this to collect my local yeast.
This is wort exposed 2 days in garden, a week old

20151029_080747.jpg

Back