Priming Sugar - Raw or Cooked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleJ

Reaction score
Is it sufficient to put corn sugar directly into the ale or would it work better (or equally well) to boil it with some water (making a simple syrup) first, cool and then add?
I'd think the second approach would make for a more even distribution.
But will the heating/dilution be a problem for creating carbonation?

If you have a bottling wand, the best way is to fill the bottle all the way up, and the displacement from the wand in the bottle will leave the perfect amount of headspace.

Typically you would boil the sugar for a few minutes in water, you don't really need a syrup consistency. I don't bother cooling, I just dump it in the bottling bucket, coil my hose at the bottom to cause a sort of whirl pool effect with the beer and siphon it right on top of the sugar water. There is typically only a cup or 2 of hot water so it won't affect 5 gallons of beer temperature wise. I have had great consistent carb levels in all my beers doing this.

yeah. 1.5 cups or so of water. it won't be thick like a syrup and you don't really have to cool it down since 1.5 cups of 200 degree water will mean squat to 5gallons of 70 or below beer.

I do cool mine a bit...only takes a few minutes of a water bath to chill 1.5 cups.

Back