Carbonation rescue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcmillan75

Reaction score
I let my beer ferment too long, now I bottled the beer and it won't carbonate. Can I fix this?

Firstly, how long has it been since it was bottled? I've had things take three weeks to carb up. Secondly, what temperature have the bottles been at? I've had things that refused to carbonate until I warmed them up (~63 F -> ~68 F).

If we've established that it WON'T carbonate, then you could potentially try uncapping and adding more yeast, but I haven't done this personally, so I defer to the judgement of those who have, since avoiding oxidation and such will be a bit challenging.

I bottled this beer 1 week ago, temp is approx. 60-70 deg F. I left the beer to ferment for three weeks until there were absolutely no bubbles. (This was my first batch)

I bottled this beer 1 week ago, temp is approx. 60-70 deg F. I left the beer to ferment for three weeks until there were absolutely no bubbles. (This was my first batch)

It needs to sit in bottle for at least another two weeks. If after three weeks it isnt carbonated then you might have a problem. How big is the beer as bigger beers can take even longer. Don't worry about it yet. Some people leave there beer months in primary so YOU DID NOT ferment too long.

The colder the beer the longer it takes, if you can get the bottles into a location that is 70-80 degrees things will move a little quicker than at 60. It could still take 3 weeks though................

Yea I mixed the priming sugar with warm water and added before bottling. I'm convinced that time is the issue. Ill get back at three weeks and let you guys know what happens

Back