Carboy Breakage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had a carboy break on you?

• Yep, and it sucked...

• Nope, knock on wood...

• I haven't, but i fear for it every day...

Results are only viewable after voting.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Just was wondering if any of you guys has ever had a carboy break on you while using a carboy handle? Scares the crap out of me everytime I move my carboy down some stairs while supporting it with that handle..

anyone use the brewhauler or something like it?

edit: I usually hold it from the bottom if able.. I know, I know, I am asking for it to break on me if I just use the handle..

just ordered better bottles to replace my glass. ease of cleaning & peace of mind is well worth the extra $$ for better bottles.

jelsas said:
just ordered better bottles to replace my glass. ease of cleaning & peace of mind is well worth the extra $$ for better bottles.

yeah that is what i am trying to decide to do or not..

A simple plastic milk crate works great for moving a carboy around. I can't remember who gave me that tip but it came from this site.

Glass carboys are no problem if you are in full control of them. I never use the handles to support the weight of a full carboy, but always use latex gloves if the carboy is wet.

-a.

I've always used milk crates. ;)

I acquired 24 - 5 gal carboys last week outside of Pittsburgh, PA. I sold 5 to CatchingZs in PA and will sell another to a co-worker tomorrow leaving me with 18 new ones. :ban:

I cleaned them up yesterday and racked into one today. :D Need to get more crates...

Never had one break yet, thankfully. But I do use a BrewHauler like support. These are actually REALLY easy to make, if your home has a sewing machine.

All you need is some nylon or polypropylene webbing (I got some for 19 cents/foot), some strong thread (I used kevlar thread that I use for tying fly fishing flies), and some short sections of 1/2" PVC tubing for handles.

Milk crates are good, too. But I also like the BrewHauler-like carriers because the handles are a lot higher, and not right at the center of gravity like a milk crate.

I didn't have one shatter on me fortunately, but I did have it crack all through the base. How it held together I have no idea but at least it did or I'd probably have a good collection of scars on my feet right now! I went to my LHBS and bought 3 better bottles the next day.

FlyGuy said:
...I used kevlar thread that I use for tying fly fishing flies...
Yet another reason that fly-fishing and brewing go hand-in-hand. :D

I use milk crates typically but I need to get some brewhaulers as well. The crates take up too much room in the chest freezer for ferm temp control.

But, I have busted a carboy. It rolled off the kitchen counter and smashed on the tile. Nobody was near it and luckily swmbo wasn't home at the time!

I have never experienced it, but when I got back into brewing last year, I sold all of my glass carboys and switched to Better Bottles. Man, am I glad I did that and so is my back. Better Bottles Rock!

EdWort said:
I have never experienced it, but when I got back into brewing last year, I sold all of my glass carboys and switched to Better Bottles. Man, am I glad I did that and so is my back. Better Bottles Rock!
You guys keep tempting me to do the same. My only problem is that I am more afraid of plastic fermenters than I am of breaking a glass carboy! (Long story about recurring infections I had when I started brewing - won't bore you.)

I have to admit, though, I sure am getting tired of lifting glass carboys. Just pulled something in my back last night trying to lift two full ones bending over a table. :(

Came Close.

A glass carboy got away from me when I was lifting it up onto my fermenting bench. My left hand (holding the neck of the carboy) was just a bit wet and when I lifted, the jug kind of bumped against the bench and jarred my grip loose.

The neck of the jug fell away from me, the bottom wrenched itself out of my right hand and the jug bobbled between myself and the bench all the way to the concrete floor.

Thank God I had a rubber-backed indoor-outdoor rug on the floor. The thing actually bounced off the rug about 1 inch…wobbled and sloshed and came to rest upright. About a pint of wort had shot out the top and all over me and my equipment, but that was all the damage.

Needless to say, my heart rate didn’t come down under 150 for about half an hour.

That was 4 months ago and to this day, I always wipe my hands completely dry before lifting one of those things.

FlyGuy said:
You guys keep tempting me to do the same. My only problem is that I am more afraid of plastic fermenters than I am of breaking a glass carboy! (Long story about recurring infections I had when I started brewing - won't bore you.)

I have to admit, though, I sure am getting tired of lifting glass carboys. Just pulled something in my back last night trying to lift two full ones bending over a table. :(

I ferment exclusivley in plastic fermenters. Buckets & Better Bottles. Nothing touchs the inside of my buckets except Oxiclean, Starsan, & a piece of a new sponge (I buy sponges in the big packs, and then cut off a 2 inch piece on cleaning day). I take my spigots apart and soak them too to make sure nothing is left. Better Bottles just need a hot rinse and then an Oxiclean soak.

Never had an infection

BierMuncher said:
Came Close.

Thank God I had a rubber-backed indoor-outdoor rug on the floor. The thing actually bounced off the rug about 1 inch…wobbled and sloshed and came to rest upright. About a pint of wort had shot out the top and all over me and my equipment, but that was all the damage.

You are one lucky SOB! :mug:

Came close, but never broke one. Slipped out of hand underneath while opening a door, but had ahold of handle, somehow the handle held it. Now I open doors and jam them to keep them open when moving a possible glass grenade of sticky mess.

EdWort said:
You are one lucky SOB! :mug:
Amen. The Beer Gods took mercy on me. I had just finished a marathon session, including the worst (only) stuck sparge I'd ever had. To end the day mopping up 5 1/2 gallons of Guiness would have sucked royally.

wow.. that amazes me that 9 people have had them break on them.. really makes me scared now.. i need to be more careful!

I droped my carboy not once but twice in one day outside on the lawn while cleaning it. Scared the F*** out of me so I fixed that problem real easy I bought a Stainless Conical, problem solved.

Another reason I don't use glass. Where is the better bottle option in the poll?

I can't vote because I don't use a handle. I would be very weary of hauling a full carboy around with one. The handle might be strong enough but is the neck of the carboy?

Brewhauler all the way. I'm not about to carry a full carboy down stairs and taking a chance of the mess and lost brew. Only use the handle for empty carboys......

*update*

well, i sold all of my carboys to a winemaker a few miles away from me, and I have a group of better bottles coming my way...

the best place to get these is at AHS, cause they are cheap there, and only 6 bucks in shipping!

thanks for the input fellas

I'm new to this... But I'm not too much a fan of the better bottles or plastics. I know PET plastics are all the rage, but they're not all that reusable or recyclable. I also have a feeling that a glass carboy has a lifespan far greater than a better bottle.

If you're careful, why not just stick with glass?

Back