First AG Recipe Attempt (Pumpkin Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msh227

Reaction score
So I'm gearing up for Fall and decided why not try my hand at my first recipe from scratch for a Pumpkin Ale. My initial recipe included Smoked Malt instead of the Roasted Barley but my LHBS talked me out of using Smoked Malt. I'd like to hear any feedback about the recipe as well as should I kept the Smoked Malt? I believe I should have stuck to my guns and kept the Smoked Malt, just wanted to add it for something extra.

I can't take 100% credit for the recipe since I did some research online and gathered ideas from various craft brewery pumpkin ales and mixed them together. I did however decide of amount of ingredients and schedule.

5 Gallon batch All Grain

8lb Pale Malt
3lb Caramel 60L
0.25lb Special B
0.125lb Roasted Barley

I will be roasting canned pumpkin (prob 5 lbs give or take) and adding to mash instead of boil. I have boiled the pumpkin in the past, I would like to try a different method this time around.

1oz UK Fuggles @ 60 min
0.5oz UK East Kent Goldings @ 30 min
0.5oz UK East Kent Goldings @ 0 min

2 Cinnamon Sticks
3 whole Nutmeg
3 whole All Spice
Spices added @ 15 min

WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast, going to make a starter

Planning on 3-4 weeks in primary and then into keg.

I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Cheers!

Well I brewed this yesterday, we shall see how it turns out. My gravity sample was pretty tasty and it has a nice deep dark amber color.

Back