Suggestions for small fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrvilleOrdinary

Reaction score
I would like to do a series of little test-batches... Looking for ideas for containers that would work well as small fermenters. No more than a gallon capacity each, preferably half that size.

The idea is to get a first-hand impression of the characteristics of different hops, malts, etc. without having to do whole 5-gallon batches.

Any further general ideas on this endeavor?

You could use one gallon jugs. I have lots of them. Carlo Rossi wine comes in a 4L jug, and it's the right size for a just-under-one-gallon batch, if you don't get much krausen. I've picked up the wine for $8 or so, and used it in spaghetti sauce, but I've also got a number of them dumpster diving at the recycling center. A #6 stopper fits it perfectly, so you can use an airlock or blow off tube.

You could use growlers for 1/2 gallon size, but that would seem too small to me. Any krausen, and you'd lose half the batch!

Just make a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein. You can buy Apple Juice in 1 gallon glass jugs at Whole Foods Market (or any similar store, I'm sure). Keep the glass jugs and use them as 1 gallon carboys. that's what i did.

instead of buying carlo rossi ... i would try you local brew store, or a local beverage place. mine sells used 1 gal wine bottles ... like the carlo rossi ones for like $1, so you don't have to spend $4 on the carlo just to get the bottle.

Back