Buying hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two pounds from Freshops last fall when the rumblings of a shortage were stirring, divided them into 1 ounce increments in ziplocks and freezer stored them. I don't have a vacuum sealer and wondered how they would last. I am down to the last 6 oz or so from that purchase and have detected no deterioration of aroma or flavor. I'm sure there is some but it is not discernable to me.

i'd say go for it, i bought 2lbs (1lbs of Cascade & 1lbs of Cent) and i'm happy i did. i brew alot of APA and IPA's so buying them made the most sense. take a look at what you most often brew and thinking of a hop that would be good for you.

It doesn't do as good of a job as a food saver, but you can pick up a Reynolds Handi Vac at Wal Mart for about $7. I put a little bit of tape over the vacuum port on the bags and they hold an alright vacuum for a couple of months. Its better than nothing and is really cheap.

I've been buying most of my hops from FresHops. They're great quality and seem to keep very well.
Have about 4lbs in the freezer.

Last year I also found a great deal on a vacuum sealer (complete with bags and containers) on CraigsList, which helps with freshness.

i'd say go for it, i bought 2lbs (1lbs of Cascade & 1lbs of Cent) and i'm happy i did. i brew alot of APA and IPA's so buying them made the most sense. take a look at what you most often brew and thinking of a hop that would be good for you.

Every time I grab a beer it is either a Pale Ale or an IPA. That is all I have brewed except for my first brew which was a dark malty ale. I prefer IPAs with a grapefruit flavor. Mmmmm, that my favorite.:rockin:

I already have a food savor that hasn't been used in years. I think I'll perform an operational check before I make my purchase. Thanks guys.

In England there is only one supplier, and they refuse to deal with the public, only supplying breweries and wholesalers. Wholesalers sell on to a handful of Companies who add more mark up and sell to home brew supply Companies. They knock them out at £5.75 for 100 gm.

I buy almost all my hops (except the ones I can't get from them) from Freshops and HopsDirect. Last count I was up to around 7 pounds. Saves a lot of money buying in bulk, even with shipping my hop costs are half the LHBS price or less.

It doesn't do as good of a job as a food saver, but you can pick up a Reynolds Handi Vac at Wal Mart for about $7. I put a little bit of tape over the vacuum port on the bags and they hold an alright vacuum for a couple of months. Its better than nothing and is really cheap.

The game you can play on the handi vac website is sweeet.

I bought some hops from freshops.com online which is funny since they're only about 30 minutes away from me. The hops are fresh and well priced. If you look around on their web store they even sell hop oil which you can drip into beer to add flavor. It's made from Cascade hops.

Back