Does Force Carbing Affect Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Assume a keg in the kegerator for conditioning/aging.

Does force carbing the keg have an effect on the aging?

I'm only passing on information I have been told, I do not have enough experience to know but no, carbonation does not affect aging. However it will age quicker at room temperature than at fridge temperatures.

Carbonation is carbonation. It doesn't matter HOW the CO2 gets into the solution. It has no effect on aging.

If filtered, force carbed in the keg and then bottled, it will have an effect. That is why so many BIG beers are bottle conditioned. The live yeast will slowly change the beer over time, or so I've been told

Is the question forced carbonating before aging
vs natural carbonation before aging
vs forced carbonation after aging
or forced carbonation instead of aging?

I force carbonate after aging and the flavor does change a bit during the process. Dissolved CO2 makes the beer more acidic. However, I've also primed and then aged. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference.

If you force carb in the keezer at temps that cause the yeast to go dormant, they won't be alive to do their magic. Thus not changing the beer in that aspect. Other flavors would still probably mellow thus changing the beer in that respect.

Back