Grain mill shaft and lovejoy couplings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it will help someone else trying to do this, but with my MM2-2.0, I tested that it takes about 17 revolutions to run 1 pound of grain through. I tried to maintain a constant 60 or so RPM but it's hard with a drill. I counted out 17 turns. Even if you round it up to 20 revs per pound, that's 3lbs per minute at 60 RPM. A 12 pound grain bill in 4 minutes at 60 RPM or 3 minutes at 90 RPM. Since I have a big ass hopper, I can let it run.

that's equal to about 380rpm with a 1-1/4" roller mill. Still a reasonable number. To a large extent, it's about how happy you are with the results of your crush. Too fast can shred the husks and effect lautering.

The earlier discussion had more to do with hp requirements and that larger rollers will require a higher horsepower motor for the same rpm at the roller. If you're not stalling you mill, you're good.

Edit to answer your question:
You're milling at about 125 sfm
(is my machinist is showing through? :cross:)

sfm?

So I'm actually at double speed of what's recommended. Damn that I didn't think about physics before I got the motor.

Lot of people run them that speed and faster using a pistol drill. If you're happy with your beer and your lauter, there's no need to change it.

I'm living in Norway, EU so I guess it won't help you much. But I found one on what would be CG for you guys.

As a (a bit funny sidenote) I found a guy who has over 40 metric tonnes of motors stowed away in almost every corner in his house, yard, garage, shed and you name it. Picture an Emmet Brown from Back To The Future, but with motors. An eccentric guy. After about 30 minutes about motor-talk, which I know nothing about, I sort of hinted that I should be going by getting back into my car. Mr Brown here didn't stop talking so I had to roll down my window (after I startet the engine) and continued to talk with him as I was slowly pulling out of his driveway as he walked by the car almost sticking his head into my window. Great guy.

Ah yes, Norway! My ancestors hail from Norway.

I would like to meet that guy!! I keep checking my local classifieds hoping to score a motor. Someday.

Ah yes, Norway! My ancestors hail from Norway.

I would like to meet that guy!! I keep checking my local classifieds hoping to score a motor. Someday.

You'd end up a bit wiser when it comes to gears. For instance that some excavators only have 60-90 HP engines, but with all that gear reduction they are able to lift stuff clocking in at over two metric tonnes.

Back