Brewer's Best Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS

Reaction score
Anyone brew this? What did you think of it?

I have a buddy coming over to brew with me on Saturday and I am worried the kits won't arrive by Friday or Saturday, so I was thinkin of picking up a BB kit just in case and Vienna Lager seems like a good one, although I would need to brew as an ale. I am thinking of getting a good wyeast or white labs to use instead of the old dry yeast they usually have in the BB kits.

I went ahead and picked up the kit along with a vile of Euro Ale Yeast. I would like to add more hops too. The kit is light on hops.

One thing I was considering was throwing in the lager yeast that comes with it along with the Euro Ale that I got and make a hybrid. I don't have the capabilities to Lager, but my basement is in the low 60s and I can keep it cool for now. I may do a yeast starter with the Euro to give it a head start over the dry lager yeast in the kit. Sometimes the dry yeasts in BB kits is no good though, so I will think on this.

looking through the BB kit, it is really lacking. Viennas are supposed to have a strong malt character and a moderate hoppiness. The BB kit comes with 3.3 lbs of LME and 1 lb of DME. I am definitely going back to the LHBS and picking up some more DME. There is a lb of corn sugar, that seems lame. I may use some of that to kick up the AC. The hops are .5 oz sterling for aroma and 1oz brewers gold for bittering. I am going to do some shopping and talk to Mr Steve (I live in York, PA and Mr Steve runs the LHBS here) and find better hops.

This will likely be the last time I get a BB kit.

Sounds like the BB kits is pretty close to a new world vienna lager (such as negra modelo) which uses adjunct...although 1 lb seems like quite a lot. I wouldn't mix in the lager yeast if you're unable to ferment at lager temps.... it'll likely throw a lot of esthers and diacetyl. The hoping seems pretty close to me.

I want to brew and old school I will probably not use the hops provided and instead get some good noble hops. I will also try an find some vienna and pilsen dme to use instead of the sugar.

thanks

Latest posts

Back