2105 Rocky Mountain Lager Wyeast!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
2105 Rocky Mountain Lager VSS Jan-Mar 2008.

Perfect for that "Banquet Style" beer, this lager strain, born high in the Colorado Rockies, ferments well at cooler temperatures with an emphasis on the malt finish. Will work well for all North American lagers, light pilsners and adjunct beers. Mild malty profile, medium ester profile, well balanced. Apparent attenuation: 70-74%. Flocculation: med-high. Optimum temp: 48°-56° F

Just looking on NB cite and saw this yeast! Never saw it before. Has anyone brewed with it? How was it? Thinking about using it for a Maibock-like brew? Also thinking about Wyeast California lager yeast? Any opinions?

Also...2487 Hella-Bock Yeast VSS Jan-Mar 2008. Never saw this guy either. Have I been under a rock? Or have these yeasts always been around and never caught my eye.

Wyeast releases their VSS (Very special strain) yeasts every 3 months or so. The Rock Mountain Yeast is actually the Coors strain, and apparently no one is buying it at my LHBS. I just brewed a Maibock with the Hella-Bock last weekend, it's been bubbling away real nicely.

If you're going to do a Maibock, definitely go with the Hella-Bock instead.

You know, i don't doubt that's a bad yeast strain. Just because Coors doesn't try to make decent beer doesn't mean that strain can't create something good. If i had the time, i would be inclined to use it for a simple American style lager and actually use good ingredients unlike our BMC brothers.

Klainmeister said:
You know, i don't doubt that's a bad yeast strain. Just because Coors doesn't try to make decent beer doesn't mean that strain can't create something good. If i had the time, i would be inclined to use it for a simple American style lager and actually use good ingredients unlike our BMC brothers.

I don't disagree, but the Hella-Bock is much better for a Maibock.

I have a lager in the secondary, that I used the 2105 yeast in. It just moved into the lagering position, at home, so it will be a while before I can make any comments on how it turned out. I will keep everyone posted though.

i'm sure it's a very flocculant, highly attenuative strain that's useful on a lot of different lager recipes. the only thing that would concern me is the banana esters that are present. that's the main reason i don't like coors or blue moon.

Back