Stuck fermentation or is my batch crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miranda28

Reaction score

Hello everyone, and ty for taking the time to read this! I would appreciate some input on my current peach wine batch. I started this batch on June 2 at a SG of 1.40. It seemed like the typical primary start and racked it into the carboy 8 days later, lots of junk in the bottom. I checked the gravity july 2, and nothing had changed gravity wise. It would only bubble in the airlock if i disturbed the wine. It did have carbonation. i pitched in another pkg of yeast and some more sugar and figured lets see what happens anyways. Today i check it ( aug 1) and the gravity is 1.30. I racked it again today, and there was junk at the bottom of the carboy and it is carbonated just like a freshly opened pop. do i leave it? is it junk , or just taking a long time to ferment all the way? I do NOT use wine kits. I don't use chemicals in my wines at any time, simply fresh juices, sugar and yeast. I'm very hippy bare bones like that. Input? and no snarky "jail hooch" comments...that's ridiculous to offend someone because they don't use the bought wine kits, i like the taste of my wines and that's all that matters. TIA!

Miranda

Your readings are incorrect. Do you mean 1.140, or 1.114? Or 1.040?

Can you take a reading again today, and double check (or take a photo and show us) so we can get a better idea of what the reading actually is. Whatever it is, it is definitely not 1.30.

Whatever you do, do NOT add more sugar. All it will do is further overwhelm the yeast, leaving a very sweet result.

i dont know how to post pics, but on the hydrometer where it says beer start (40) its just above it at 30

i dont know how to post pics, but on the hydrometer where it says beer start (40) its just above it at 30

ok, that seems to be 1.030.

Where did the wine start?

Can you give us the recipe, so we can see what the actual OG could have been, and see what kind of advice to give?

i just checked my calender and it was written that i started at at 1.60 but since ive read it wrong lol im assuming it was 1.06 then? it was right at the table wine top line. my recipe was 10 cans of juice, one 2Kg bag of sugar, and enough water to fill, nothing fancy

i just checked my calender and it was written that i started at at 1.60 but since ive read it wrong lol im assuming it was 1.06 then? it was right at the table wine top line. my recipe was 10 cans of juice, one 2Kg bag of sugar, and enough water to fill, nothing fancy

My hydrometer doesn't have "beer" or "wine" lines so I have no idea exactly where yours is. Can you post a link to one that looks like yours?

Is it a 5 or 6 gallon batch?

WIN_20150801_122932.JPG
im hoping this shows up lol, the table wine setting is the top of the big green section, and its a 5 gallon batch

That is the strangest hydrometer I have ever seen. Also, have you tasted it? I would say since you are taking the hippy approach to wine (which I usually do too when I make wine *rarely*) just let it go, if it tastes ok bottle it and drink it... If not.. Roll another one of them hippy cigarettes and try again.

View attachment 293666
im hoping this shows up lol, the table wine setting is the top of the big green section, and its a 5 gallon batch

That looks like 1.065 or so, then.

When you added more sugar, how much did you add?

I'm trying to guess whether the batch is stuck, or if it's done due to reaching the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. What strain of yeast did you use?

Back