Can my cousin sell a few Kingston Black apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
My cousin has a Kingston Black tree. His kid is 13, and I'm wondering if the boy could make a few buck selling the apples.

How much could he get for them?

And where would he sell them? Farmers market?

Sounds like a great variety for cider making, according to this article at any rate:

Kingston Black
Perhaps the epitome of all cider apples, Kingston Black is the most sought-after bittersharp variety in the States. This West Country English apple provides an ideal balance of sugar, tannin, and tartness without blending, and is considered to be the finest choice for making a single varietal cider

As far as sales go, I don't know where you're located but it might be easiest listing them on Craigslist or the local equivalent (and include pics of his apples and a description like the above emphasizing the desirability of this variety). Most farmers markets require signing up, paying a fee, and participating for more than a single weekend, so probably not a good option if he's got only one tree's worth of apples to sell. If you've got a more informal hipster swap-meet of some kind in your area that could work out well though too.

Why on earth would you be selling kingston black apples if you only have one tree? they make great cider and are much sought after, you just need to mill and press the apples. If you sell them the minimum quantity to be useful would be about 10 lb.

Why on earth would you be selling kingston black apples if you only have one tree? they make great cider and are much sought after, you just need to mill and press the apples. If you sell them the minimum quantity to be useful would be about 10 lb.

This is my first year making cider, so I don't know if I'll like the tree or even like making cider. I'm starting with 3 gallons this year, so I only need 1-2 gallons of Kingston Black. If there's any left on the tree this year, I thought he might like to make a few bucks (or not).

Like you mention, I doubt there will be enough left to sell.

By the way, where are you located? I might be interested in some of them if by happy coincidence you are local.

Sorry, we're just north of Seattle.

But, how much would you pay if you could get your hands on them? $1/lb? $5/lb?

I think the local orchard charges 1.75/lb for their dessert quality fruit, and they have many less common varieties. Their blemished ones go for less, but I don't recall how much. I would think a local person wanting to make proper cider would pay between 1 and the 1.75 depending how many they were interested in. But that's a complete guess.

Back