Getting rid of the smell.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iordz

Reaction score
I just racked a German Hefe (AG) that I did two weeks ago. I don't rack hefes but this was the 1st time I used WLP351 (Bavarian Weizen) and the yeast produced some sulphur. It's almost gone so I racked the beer to, hopefully, get the last bit out. I cleaned the glass carboy really well but there still seems to be a hint of sulphur. I was planning on filling it with water and adding some unscented bleach, would that get rid of the smell? What techniques do you use to get rid of the smell in the carboy after brewing? Thankfully it's glass, so it's non-porous. The beer tastes real good, surprisingly not sulphury, and had a FG of 1.010, so it should be good to go in a week or so. :mug:

Add Oxy clean (unscented), fill carboy and let set overnight. A little scrubbing might help if you have any leftover krausen ring. Rinse with water and then use some star san for sanitizing.

There is not krausen ring, I cleaned and sanitized the carboy. I like to clean my equipment ASAP so that I don't have to work twice as hard later. You're saying if I left the carboy full of water and oxy-clean, overnight, the smell should be gone?

Iordz said:
There is not krausen ring, I cleaned and sanitized the carboy. I like to clean my equipment ASAP so that I don't have to work twice as hard later. You're saying if I left the carboy full of water and oxy-clean, overnight, the smell should be gone?

Well, nothing is really impossible. But oxyclean has worked for me in the past. If it doesn't, then try star san and let it soak too. BTW oxyclean sometimes will leave a residue if you don't rinse thoroughly.

Or try a 10% bleach solution and let set overnight. Just work with it and find out what will work for you. Also after the carboy soak with bleach it will smell like bleach, so a good rinse will be needed.

Latest posts

Back