Blow off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
Will the tube I use for racking work on my ale pail as a blow off tube? Do I need to secure it down our just pop it in there? If not how can I create one for the ale pail?

I just stuck my tube in the hole of the lid and it stayed secure. The problem was I had an extremely high gravity beer with a really vigorous yeast, which blew the lid off. I learned my lesson. For a standard gravity batch of beer I think you would be fine. For anything high gravity I would suggest a carboy with a larger diameter blow off tube instead of the smaller diameter tubing you use for racking.

This beer has an OG of 1.052 and FG of 1.014. Can the smaller diameter tube support this. It's a 5 gal batch and a 6.5 gallon pail. Yeast is WLP400.

I think you'll be just fine. I regularly ferment higher gravity batches than that in buckets with a blow off tube. You may actually get some blow off with bigger batches, but that's better than a clogged airlock in my opinion (which I've never used).

yes, the 3/8" tube is the same diameter as the stopper holes, I do it when I need to, esp with my carboy, on the other hand my 6.5gal ale pail shouldnt ever blow off, theres a lot of head space

AdamPag said:
yes, the 3/8" tube is the same diameter as the stopper holes, I do it when I need to, esp with my carboy, on the other hand my 6.5gal ale pail shouldnt ever blow off, theres a lot of head space

Well last week my APA launched my airlock across the room and there was foam all over the lid of the ale pail. I'm sure a little more krausen would have sent the lid into orbit!

I just took my airlock apart and used a 1/2" ID tube that I connected to the top of the airlock, since the airlock fits perfectly in the grommet on the bucket.

Kevin

Back