Feedback on Porter with Victory Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffo

Reaction score
This is my first brew not from a kit.

For some reason I thought the store had bulk bins for malts where any amount could be bought, similar to the health food store. But they only have 1 lb. bags. So my 1.25 lbs chocolate became 1 lb, .75 lb Victory became 1 lb. and because I was using less choc and more Victory I adjusted the Black Patent from .25 to .375 lb.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be too much of a Brown Ale or Nut Brown Ale, but who knows, maybe I/we would like that better than a Porter. Here it is:

6 lbs. Northwestern Gold Extract
1 lb. Victory (originally .75)
1 lb. Chocolate (originally 1.25)
.375 lb. Black Patent (originally .25)
.75 lb. honey

1 oz. Perle pellet - will probably do half, quarter, quarter

Safale US-05, similar to WLP001 which is what I wanted

At the store I milled all the Victory and Chocolate and only .375 lb of the Black. I'm hoping we can use the rest of the Black in the future.

I'm wondering if I should throw out a bit of the Victory and go and grind a little more of the Black Patent. I don't plan on it unless any of you think the Victory will be too much. Otherwise I'll relax, not worry and have a homebrew.

Thanks.

I would cut the Victory to half a pound and I would cut the chocolate malt to half a pound as well.

1# of Victory isn't too much, though I think 7% is ideal which is about 3/4#. 1# of Chocolate is fine.

You can save the grains as long as they are kept dry and unmilled. They will keep for a few years.

A few years... That's good to know. I should have bought another pound of chocolate. We're going to stick with the 1 and 1 and the black patent. The Victory smells really good after milling.

Back