Irish Stout Starting Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgerbrew61

Reaction score
I am in the midst of brewing a Midwest Supply Irish Stout. I followed the procedure to the letter but have had slow, albeit steady bubbling in the primary. It's now been 8 days and I did a hydrometer reading. It's at 1.014 which is about right. However, for the life of me I can't seem to find what my original was. I checked the Midwest fact sheet and it says the O.G. should be 1.042-1.046. I DON"T think mine was that high, I thought it was more in the 1.030 range. Am I thoroughly screwed up on my recollection or is there something I may have done to get an extremely low S.G.?
Also, should I consider adding some yeast to the secondary to be sure the fermentation is complete?
Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Just let it sit for another week or two, then recheck hydrometer readings before bottling. I wouldn't pitch more yeast. Let it ride...

What makes you think you had a low SG? If you followed the directions why would your SG be lower than the kit directions?

I always try to remind myself to write things like SG, etc. down

I am in the midst of brewing a Midwest Supply Irish Stout. I followed the procedure to the letter but have had slow, albeit steady bubbling in the primary. It's now been 8 days and I did a hydrometer reading. It's at 1.014 which is about right. However, for the life of me I can't seem to find what my original was. I checked the Midwest fact sheet and it says the O.G. should be 1.042-1.046. I DON"T think mine was that high, I thought it was more in the 1.030 range. Am I thoroughly screwed up on my recollection or is there something I may have done to get an extremely low S.G.?
Also, should I consider adding some yeast to the secondary to be sure the fermentation is complete?
Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Was this an extract batch or all grain? I made the all grain version of this kit, and it's one of the brews I'm drinking currently. My OG was 1.047 and my FG was 1.011.. It's a very good stout! Which yeast did you use?

If you were brewing extract, there's no reason to expect that your OG is anything very far outside of the expected OG given on the sheet unless you blatantly omitted ingredients. Specialty grains should only affect the original gravity by a few points. If you are brewing AG, then it's a different ball game.

1.014 seems pretty close to the expected FG - I wouldn't worry about it.

If this was an extract kit, and you used top up water in the fermenter, I would not be at all surprised that you would have a gravity reading that seemed low. What usually happens in those cases is that despite your best efforts at mixing, the denser wort settles in the bottom of the fermenter and you draw a thinner wort off the top. BINGO! Low gravity reading. Not to worry, though... it will (and surely in your case has already) mix itself fine during the fermentation process.

Back