Summer Brew Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stweeb

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for an easy-to-drink summer beer that could be enjoyed by more than just beer jockeys. I have a six week window from pitch to pour, so any AG recipes that fit all of the above would be greatly appreciated.

I would highly recommend brewing a hefe they are ready grain to glass in 3 weeks and need to be drank while fresh. I prefer traditional German recipes over American counterparts. This is the recipe I just brewed and started drinking this weekend and I really enjoy it.

You'll want to control fermentation tempst to around 64-66* if you want more muted banana flavors. If you want more banana then ferment a little higher.

Recipe: Weissbier
Brewer: Jeremy
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.76 %
5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (20 min)Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

Eh, centennial blonde isnt all that IMO.

Do a quick fruity american wheat. ferment in primary 10 days, add fruit to secondary for 3weeks then bottle. Bam: a summer ale everyone will enjoy. I did this last year, probably a very similar schedule for fermenting, using raspberries. It was a pretty big hit with all crowds.

Thanks for the responses. How do you guys go about mellowing out your fuit? Or do you prefer a more tart flavor? I was thinking about revisiting a Strawberry Blonde. I made one back in Feb. that didn't turn out so great. I figured it would have mellowed out by summertime, but my problems were beyond that.

...and I may just do the Centenniala blonde as well since it has a quick turn around. Thanks again!

cucumber beer!!!!
make an english bitter or easy drinking blonde, then toss that onto a secondary with 5 lbs of chopped up cukes in it. rack off a week later or so and bottle. i have never done this, but i have heard good things and i can't wait to try it. just waiting on my cucumber plants to start pumping them out.

Tartness is a factor of two things. Tartness inherent to the fruit itself, and the ripeness of the fruit. Use really ripe fruits to get a nice flavor. Less ripe will be more tart. Also, strawberries and Raspberries are more tart than watermelon or blueberries.

Thanks again everybody. Just wanted to make an update. I made the Centennial Blonde and it went over better than I could have imagined. There was one person in my group that I had in mind while making this. He doesn't like beer very much and he Loved it.

Latest posts

Back