off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
ok, I made a pale ale that I dry hopped with 2 oz og target hops for one week...

after two weeks beer was unbalanced. I could feel that hop aroma was just killing all other flavors. it was very intense...

after 4 weeks it was great. hops mellowed and I could feel malty base of the beer. it was really great. my friends told me that I brew this again because they liked it very much...

I thought leaving it for a couple of more weeks would only make it better, BUT

after 6 weeks, the beer became undrinkable :(

I have this very strange off flavor that is closest to rotten vegetables mixed with very unpleasant earthy flavor that holds in mouth long after you take a sip. it is really bad.

I really don't get it - how come such a great beer after 4 weeks became such a piss after 6 weeks??

I have to say that beer looks perfect, it's clear, nice long lasting head, perfect aroma. The important thing to mention I think, is that this off flavor occurs not at the beginning of the sip, but after you swallow it, and it is the most intense on the bottom of the tongue, almost in the throat.

luckily, we drank most of it before it got bad, but I still have a case that is waiting to be dumped....

what do you think is the reason for this off flavor?

the beer was properly stored, no light exposure, in beer cases, in a cool place

Rotten vegetables? Maybe an infection? Maybe DMS? Did you boil with the lid on?

no, it's not an infection. I'm OCD when it comes to sanitation. I didn't boil with the lid on....

I'm repeating that the beer was just fine for first 4 weeks after bottling, after 6 weeks this off flavor ruined everything

Latest posts

Back