corny lid seal help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have a corny that i put beer in about 1.5 weeks ago. i went to ckeck my keg system and found my Co2 tank empty. After some research i found one of my cornys is leaking around the lid seal. I replaces the o-ring seal twice, still leaking. I then made sure i washed the inside of the lid and the outside of the removable seal. still leaking. i then wet sanded the keg seal with fine sand paper and cleaned well. still leaking. Do i need a new keg or should i just try a new lid?

I had a similar problems with one of my ball-locks recently. After replacing the o-ring, heating it before sealing and using keg lube I was still unable to get a solid seal. I discovered that the plastic feet on the lid latch were actually much thinner than on all of my other kegs, which meant less pressure was being exerted on the o-ring. After replacing the feet I haven't had any problems. Check it out.

The kegging guy at my LHBS always recommends seating with 30 psi, which is what Cornys were designed to properly seat the lid. I've not had any leaking issues, but might be worth a shot. Since the kegs are rated to 100+ psi, maybe go a little higher than 30 if you're still having issues.

I don't know. I've had issues with kegs like that. Sometimes just rotating to a different lid helps. Also try checking and seeing if the little feet on the lid latch might need to be bent a little.

You hit it with high pressure to seal? (I typically hit it with 40 to be safe) Are you sure it's the lid that's leaking? (check with starsan or soapy water or something)...could it be the relief valve leaking?

Edit: Also, don't latch it. Put the lid in the keg, pull up on the handle so it seats, (but don't latch the handle down), hit it with 45 PSI, and then see if it's sealed. If it has, latch the handle down.

I've found that using a silicone lid oring fixed a couple of my finicky lids. For one, it didn't help and I found that the sealing surface on the keg itself was a little bent. I plan to use a hammer to try to coax it back.

here is what i did to finally get mine to seat. I took 2 great big channel locks (one to hold the lid, the other to do the bending) and i bent each of the legs back a bit. I then used a whole pile of keg lube on the seal, cranked up the pressure and it seated well. Rechecked everything with starsan in a spray bottle and its perfect.

Had similar issues and the short term fix (which turned into a long term solution, of course) was to add little pieces of plastic card as shims under the feet.

Dimes or penny's under the feet work if your in a bind and don't have extra feet kicking around...

Back