Creamery in a Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you use to mold it? Looks awesome.

Haha, I took a canister of Gatorade powder, cut it in half, and wrapped the outside of it with packing tape.

If this turns out decent, which I think it will, I'll invest in an actual press and molds.

Damn cat jumped on the counter and licked away my cheese. Now there is a giant divot on one side.

Great looking cheddar. Good luck with that. It's hard to wait, I know. After you dry the rind, how are you going to age it? Wax, vacuum bag, ?

My dog has eaten several wheels by standing and pulling at cheesecloth and dragging it off the counter. Ugh.

I waxed it but I'm worried I did it too soon. There has been moisture coming through the wax. I'm thinking about opening it up and assessing from there.

The instructions just say "salt to taste." But as a first time cheese maker, it would be nice to have a general guideline of where to start. Any idea how much you used?

Thanks!

I used 1 Tbsp. That may have been a bit much. My wheel is still aging so I don't know for sure yet.

I'm glad I asked! Since the kit is supposed to make 5 batches, I was going to use 1/5 of the provided salt, which is about 3 tablespoons.

Thanks again!

Five weeks after cutting the curd, I tried a small wedge. I will be making more cheddar in the near future.

I definitely needed to let it dry longer and press it with more weight and/or for a longer amount of time. It was moist semi crumbly.

I may reduce the salt by 25-50% too.

All in all, it was worth the time and effort.

I decided to remove the wax and dry it some more.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422754234.413894.jpg

Yeah, that second one is quite slanted. Oops.

I started another thread asking how people get the large curds; no replies though. Both times I've made a cheddar, my curds crumble as soon as I stir.

I'm going to need a lot of practice. Thankfully my mistakes still taste good.

Back