lid blowing off pail help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtek_1

Reaction score
Hi i did a malt extract beer last night and it went well but today it is in the pail with the airlock and bubbling all over the place and it has blown the lid off 4 times is there anything i should do to help or just leave it be THANKS FOR ANY HELP DAVE

Happens all the time.

Actually if you have an airlock blowoff right now it's best to clean, resanitize and install a blowoff tube.

Here's what I do with a 3 piece airlock,

Airlockbo2.jpg

The tube is the one that came with my bottling wand, with a tiny slit in it. I also saw/break off the little chriss/cross at the bottom of the shank, which helps keep goop from getting stuck.

The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.

I had my first blow up this weekend also. Brewed late Saturday night. AHS Black Ale. Was to lazy to carry it downstairs so I left it in my office.
Yesterday the wife and I took the kids out to Sesame Street Live, came home to a guyser. I looked pretty cool. I got it before the stopper blew out, pressure was blowing foam out of the little holes in the airlock lid, with a cool hissing noise. I wanted to take pictures, but everytime it "erupted" it got all over my desk.
I did exactly what the picture Revvy posted shows with the 3 piece airlock.
I was wondering when it would happen.

Back