If the power goes out....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
So, I've got a smoked porter and an ipa fermenting right now. They were both brewed on Saturday. So, in case the power goes out I bumped my standup freezer down to 35*......my thinking is that if it turns off it'll hopefully stay cold enough. Then later on when everything calms down I'll give it a non-splashing stir with a sanitized spoon to rouse the yeast and hopefully kick start fermentation again.

Does this sound like a valid idea?

Also, 5 days after pitching you are mostly (hopefully) past the point of really developing horrible off flavors from high temp.

Hold on tight there man....

Sweet deal. Thanks guys.....you've confirmed what I was already thinking.

Thanks beerrific....I really don't think we're going to get much of anything but it never hurts to be ready. We were going to evacuate this morning but after seeing the shift it's taken I don't think it's worth it.

One of these puppies can come in really handy.

eu2000-large.jpg

I have one for taking power to the far reaches of the ranch, but if we lose power due to Ike, I can run each Fridge & freezer for a while and rotate them to keep things frozen & cool.

Back