Flip tops are unpredictable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Probably done 100, 22 oz. bottles by now via the bucket method of mixing in the appropriate amount of sugar boiled in water, then cooled and mixed in well with a sanitized stirring spoon (mixed well).

70 some crown-capped bottles have carbed up perfectly and reliably, zero malfunctions.

However, various flip top bottles, most of them Grolsch, have not been so reliable. I will randomly find some bottles missing 3-4 ounces, and a sticky pool around the bottles. Somehow the seals just slipped aside because they couldn't handle the pressure.

Seals look clean and new, I don't get it. And what's really funny is that the Ez-Cap bottles with their cheesy looking plastic type seals have been 100% reliable, but all the grolsch style rubber seals somehow come loose here and there.

Lame, I'm sticking with crown capping only from now on. Flip tops blow.

not sure why your grolsch bottles are leaking, but do NOT mix in your priming sugar with a spoon. you will aerate your beer.

It's a gentle stir, and I'm sure not to aerate. How can this possibly do any more damage than siphoning the stuff out of a carboy and into a bucket? What are you talking about...

I understand aeration and don't need a lecture, please stick to the thread. :off:

This is a lecture:
So is this:
Also a lecture:

Definition of "Lecture": to rebuke or reprimand at some length.

I did not lecture, I just tried to be helpful. But, go ahead and damn me for it, because that will definitely make me feel so much more like giving you any answer in the future. Oh, right, I am not an *******...

Your problems with the Grolsch caps I am realizing could have to do with old/worn rubber gaskets. You can buy new replacements at a LHBS or online. Try replacing the gaskets on problem bottles and see if that helps. Are you carbonation levels even? You could be getting an uneven distribution of priming sugar. Maybe not enough to cause bottle bombs, but enough to cause a leak in the flip-top and Grolsch bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad kneejerk reaction. Thanks on the gaskets, that has to be it (even though they look new).

Priming is done with a gram scale to 1/10th of an ounce to the closest gallon.

Back