First time campden user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the juice in a carboy with the campden added before I pitch the yeast tomorrow. Am I supposed to put an air-lock in the carboy or just cover it loosely? How does the sulfur get removed from the must? If it's through evaporation I would think an air-lock would simply force the gas into solution.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

HBT = :rockin:

All I know is - and all that matters is - that you pitch 24 hours after dissolving the crushed tablet. I assume it's lost its power one way or another by that time, which is why you can pitch your yeast.

I don't know how long it would take to all dissolve and denature if you didn't crush it into a powder, so I hope you did. :)

you can only force gas into solution by putting it under pressure, airlocks keep pressure the same as the surroundings. the amount of SO2 actually in solution is vanishingly small compared to other dissolved gasses, but huge compared to the SO2 concentration in the atmosphere, which is essentially zero, so it will readily diffuse out of solution.
i think.
anyways it's not a problem, your yeast will be fine.
the wikipedia page on sulfur dioxide has some good information but doesn't directly address your question...

You don't want to use an airlock yet. Just cover it with a towel.

I can't really say why. Its either about letting SO2 out or O2 in. Yooper would know, maybe ask her.

Back