So I bought these 2 kegs....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeerich

Reaction score
...to make a couple of "keggles." I get home from work, Lug the 3/4 full kegs out of my truck, and get all my tools ready for my first "real" DIY project. (Let me preface all of this with the fact that my real name is Newbie McNewberson.)

So, I take my screwdriver and press down the ball and get blasted in the face by a GEYSER of old stale budlight. I mean mouthful and everything. I felt like I had been violated by a bad beer facial. SWMBO, of course, is rolling in the yard laughing at me, but whatev...

So a quick video tutorial on youtube, and I got it figured out. Anyway I thought this was hilarious. I'm sure its nothing new around here, and probably not funny to you guys anymore, but I couldn't resist.

That would be called a "beerkkake" and it is a rite of passage for every aspiring beer brewing pron producer.

I used to work for SABCO one summer so I feel your pain....Nothing like an almost-full keg of Butt Light venting in your face to ruin your day...I gave up drinking that summer, but I got better!

Yep... I did that one as well... My buddy had the keg from his home bar, and told me he had already vented it for me. Of course I thought nothing of it, and actually trusted my friend. Figured that one out the hard way... i did throw a lit firecracker under his camping chair while he wasn't looking this weekend, so we are now even. Granted, the keg spray down didn't make me crap my pants, but in my eyes, we both had to clean up after the "prank"

Yeah did that as well. First one I vented I remembered to lay on it's side. Later on after I'd vented it I hit the valve again to make sure, there was pressure of course from the beer inside off-gassing, got it in the face that time.

Can't say i've done that with a half barrel yet, but i have done it with a corny. got some nice old soda syrup right in the face. good times.

Same thing happened to me except I was dumb enough to do it in my apartment. I had stale natural light all over my walls, TV, and floor. My apt smelled horrible for about a week.

Nothing like 10 year old bud light in the face...

Your buddy probably DID vent the keg, but the beer offgassed. I know I ended up rocking the keg a lot to let all the pressure (and nasty beer) out. Yard reeked of stale bud for a week...

My buddies wanna try now. They say its the ultimate keg stand. I might buy another just to see if they're dumb enough to do it. The sad thing is...they are.:eek:

When I got my keg, it was half full of old Miller. I had done the reading (it is fundamental, you know ;)) so knew to turn it over and point it where I wanted the stink to go when I pushed down the ball. It shot halfway across the yard.

My 11yo son was startled, and told me he had been messing with the keg before school one day. He is very lucky he did not get a pre-school shower.

That mess smelled like piss and old beer.

Bud is one of those beers that does not improve with age. I didn't get nailed with too much beerkake, but that stuff reeks regardless.

Yep happened to me as well. I got showered with some old ass miller.

I didnt think of tipping the keg but I did put a snow pusher on the top. I stood behind it and pushed the ball valve. The beer shot up hit the snow shovel and there was not a second beer shower.

Am I missing something? Are you talking about Sanke's? Why all this "beerkakke"? I mean, even if the thing doesn't have a bleeder valve on the cap, wouldn't you make sure to hit the gas in poppet rather than the liquid out one?

Yeah Evan! You're confusing cornelius w/ sanke, The sanke kegs have ONE inlet/outlet and it has a ball in the middle, you push it down and get sprayed :). I got hit mildly on my first so I was careful w/ the second, and some how still got hit worse ;)

I hit just like everyone else. What I did to release the rest (also half full of Bad light) was cut a small hole the size of screwdriver in the bottom of a pail and put that over the ball and pushed down. It acts like an upside down umbrella.

What I ended up doing after the initial shower is turn the keg on it's side, put garbage bag over keg. Screwdriver inside garbage bag. Press releif valve with screwdriver - press screwdriver hard enough that it stays there with the beer shower. Shake keg as it stops spraying.

What I ended up doing after the initial shower is turn the keg on it's side, put garbage bag over keg. Screwdriver inside garbage bag. Press releif valve with screwdriver - press screwdriver hard enough that it stays there with the beer shower. Shake keg as it stops spraying.

I just place a towel over the tip. I then use the towel to wipe up after the spewing is done.

We're still talking beer, right?

Yep, I did this too except I was in my garage and well there are still some stains on the bottom of the roof over 15ft up. Luckily it only hit me on the side of the face :mad:

Wow, you guys are making me feel really good about myself. when I did it I was hooking up a fresh keg and didn't pay attention as well as I should have. I guess I completely missed the relief lever part of the lecture. that was years ago.

But, while purchasing beer for my supply of bottles, I forgot that guiness has that plastic thing in the bottles. I figured I could just pull it out with a bent coathanger. You can you know, but you should first make sure the bottles are completely empty prior to turning them upside down above your head to take a look.

Much smaller in terms of scale, could be much bigger in terms of stupidity. At least I have the case of empty bottles to use as an excuse.:drunk:

The coolest thing is when you are you are smart enough to shield it with your hand (because you got sprayed on the first one) but still get a big blast and it ends up hitting your buddy right in the face :rockin:

Not that I did that or anything :cross:

Ahhh, this thread reminds me of when I was a wee lad of 17, being instructed on how to swap out beer kegs. I was working in a restaurant/bar and one of the old salty dawgs had just unhooked the old keg, and was showing me how to re-attach the coupler to the new one. He impressed upon me the importance of making sure the tap was seated firmly and correctly in the keg, turned ALL the way before lifting up on the handle to release the CO2. He then did so to demonstrate.

In all my days I will never forget the vision of that perfect stream of Killian's Red as it geysered from the keg directly into his face. It was... beautiful. My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Well I'm not a cat, and it was curiosity.
Was a almost (maybe glass full of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ) I wouldn't say I won't do it again but I'll be more cautious. LMAO!

Vented an old quarter-full keg of Fuller's ESB this weekend, but fortunately watched Bobby M's video first and was able to avoid a beer geyser. :)

LOL.... I got a good laugh out of the original post.

Just a few days ago I vented a keg that had old stale wine in it...
Winekakke for me.
Rookie move, and the wife got a good laugh at me.
After the initial MotherF bomb, I thought it was pretty funny too :)

I did not vent the keg and I just started cutting with the grinding wheel. At the point where I got through the keg, a blast of stinky air came out, but no beer.

Based on the experience of many here I would say it is wiser to not vent the keg before cutting. It's not as if the keg is going to explode or something while your grinding or cutting the keg.

I've done 2 this way. No drama, just a wooosh of air and it's done.

Linc

As fun as stale beer spraying in your face sounds, I decided to take a 2x4, nail a few framing nails about an inch into the wood and set it on the grass. I tip the keg up and used the nails to depress the valve. Beer sprayed into the grass in the field, and I stayed dry. Pretty simple.

Same thing happened to me except I was dumb enough to do it in my apartment. I had stale natural light all over my walls, TV, and floor. My apt smelled horrible for about a week.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry dude, even a rust picker knows to do this outside, So should a Marine.

Back