Second Brew label, Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionBeer

Reaction score
Thought I would share what I've come up with for my second beer I've done this past weekend, my You Don't Know Jack Pumpkin Ale. Cheers!

YDKJ-final.png

Yeah, curious what program you use, as well as the dimensions you use? I am not incredibly gifted graphically, but I can see myself through a few programs.

Thanks guys - this is actually all done in Photoshop.

I started with the canvas at the size you see picture, which is based off of one of DFH labels, scaled up a bit. So, I create everything in this size you see 850x546 pixels at 72 ppi. Then, when I go to print, I scale up the ppi to 200 which makes the canvas 2361x1517 pixels. Finally, when I print, I scale down to the actual label size which I don't have specifics but it's around 5.xx inches by 3.xx inches at ~400 ppi to print.

I can get the specific print size when I get home, if anyone needs it.

:mug:

Thanks for the info Shane and love your website - very cool and something I have been working a little behind the scenes on myself. Been out of college for a few years, and still have that lingering "what am I doing? I love beer!" voice in my head that has driven me to try something different than the corporate world I am in.

I don't have photoshop, but wish I could make some sweet labels like yours. I have heard people use GIMP? Which is supposed to be similar to photoshop? Maybe Ill give that a shot -

Thanks for the info Shane and love your website - very cool and something I have been working a little behind the scenes on myself. Been out of college for a few years, and still have that lingering "what am I doing? I love beer!" voice in my head that has driven me to try something different than the corporate world I am in.

I don't have photoshop, but wish I could make some sweet labels like yours. I have heard people use GIMP? Which is supposed to be similar to photoshop? Maybe Ill give that a shot -

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! :)

I've used GIMP before, which is definitely a good, free alternative to Photoshop. There is also Paint.NET which is similar and free, too. I still think they're all lacking a certain fluidity and ease that Photoshop has, plus IMO, Photoshop is much more powerful. However, if you can't get it or don't have it, GIMP and/or Paint.NET are viable alternatives.

Some people also do their labels in Adobe Illustrator as vector drawings if you really want to get into it. They're much more scalable as vectors.

Back