Wanting to grow own hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
A friend of mine offered to grow hops for me. But I have no idea what strain of hops I want him to grow, this is a big decision. I guess it is based on the beer i like to make.

What are some suggestions all of you have?

i would sugest not limiting yourself to one perticular kind, chose say two or three and have a moderate ammount of each... if your friend isnt will to go that far then choose a simply broad spectum hop which is useful in many differnt beers... I here Cascade works well for that... but i wouldnt want to limit myself. Talk to your friend and find out how far he wants to go with this. Then choose... and tell your friend that there is a shortage on and theres money to be made if hes a bit too squeemish about growing large ammounts of hops.

Cheers

Find out what kinds of hops are in the beers you like to drink, or brew, and go with that. But, Cascades are well known to be good growers in all kinds of climates, and might produce more. In NC I doubt you'd have any problem with most varieties as long as they get full sun all day and are watered properly.

Or, you can choose a particular kind for bittering, and save money on all that bittering hops you buy.

Back