What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently running an inaugural 10g batch on the electric setup. Succeeded with a 7g yesterday and 5g the day before. Will run an auto-tune again to have those numbers handy and different batch size capabilities at the click of a few buttons. Good times.

Just did similar over the long weekend. Brewed a 10g Dale's Pale Ale clone Saturday, and a 10g Pliny clone Monday.

All went reasonably well. Couldn't get the BK to autotune for some reason. have to talk to Kal about that. I also screwed up the configuration of the control panel timer - somehow got it into countdown by seconds mode and didn't noticed until 15mins into the boil. DOH! Try doing that math under pressure sometime. UUUGLY

Also took advantage of Northern Brewer buy 3 sale. Ordered a Nut Brown Ale, Spiced winter and American wheat.

Picked up everything I needed for the next batch I am brewing (None More Dark Stout from the recipe section on this site). Also got the alteration finnished on my Corona mill, mounted it and ran a test batch of cheap grain through it for testing and setting the plates. Hope to brew this weekend and then all the beers for Christmas will be completed.

Finished making "starters" off all my summer wild yeast captures and put them in the fridge to settle out.

As I am bottling 5gallons of Amber spice ale I take my primary and auto siphon to secondary with spices in. As I'm doing this my priming sugar is resting in the "sink" where laundry run off goes. I forget that a load of laundry is running and to my luck sink fills and I have to re do my priming. Lucky enough no infection...

I transferred 5 gallons of an Irish Death clone. It is still pretty murky after 12 days in the primary. I am hoping it will darken up as it clears.

I cleaned two legs that kicked, rinsed my kegerator lines and hooked up two new kegs. One ESB & a DuPont Saison from a club brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Planned my first RIS (Kate the Great) and made an ingredient list to fit my system capabilities. A ten gallon mash tun can fit 23#'s of grain and I can boil 7 gallons of wort. This will be the most complex and ambitious recipe and brew in my life... Kinda nervous but in a good way!

I'm brewin Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, I call it Yoop Soup for short. Unfortunately, I got a stuck sparge because I stirred the mash too hard. My false bottom was sitting on top of a pile of grain. Had to empty the tun, and set the grain bed again, but after that it worked great.

Installed a custom dip tube in my brew kettle. Used a brass elbow, brass compression fitting, and a short length of 1/2" copper tubing cut at an angle. It works great! Can't wait to use it on my next brew day. Probably a winter ale.

:D

I just vacuum sealed 5lb of hops in 1oz and 2oz packages. It took 4 hours... Luckily I had homebrew and brewdogs to help pass the time.

I made a mash paddle, what do you guys think.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413452891.133393.jpg

That's nice what type of wood you use?

I wanna say it's pine. I just found it laying around. I will use tung oil on it later. But that's it for now. Smells good riding in my car on the way home. Love that wood smell.

Got my tower in the shop yesterday, fixed some tape on keyboard keys to mark letters & symbols that were gone & bottled my Dampfbier version 2. Got a little stir crazy with my computer gone. On wife's laptop now. Gonna clean up the man cave/brewery over the next couple days. Maybe brew another ESB this weekend.

I made a mash paddle, what do you guys think.

That's sweet, looks like a Final Fantasy weapon or something!

Been at work all day, I've only been able to shake up my yeast starter this morning (propagating some WLP005) and browse the forum. Once I get home my hops should have just arrived from YVH, so I'll be dividing those up based on future batch quantities, vacuum sealing them, and putting them into freezer storage. Then I've got to split up my starter into smaller jars for refrigeration storage while also making a new starter for Saturday's brewday.

Busy busy!

Got a lot done cleaning out the man cave/brewer today. Just gotta get the toss out stuff in one pile, the keepers in another definitely smaller stack & the bottles, bubble wrap etc that's getting picked up Sunday in another. A whole lot less clutter. Still have a bottling bucket & fermenter to clean out though. But the fermenter is still sealed up. I'm just glad someone can use that big stack of bottles & huge bag of bubble wrap. I hate to toss stuff when I'm always sure someone can use it. :mug:

Mashing out my saison right now. Stepped up lager yeast for a Baltic porter I'm brewing Sunday.

Ordered the ingredients for a Cali Common. I don't have lagering capability so I have to wait for cooler weather for my basement "lager cave" to cool down.

Oh, took 3 beers to LHBS for my first critique. He enjoyed the sweet stout, but none had detectable off flavors. Kind a energizing! Knowing ones process is solid, ready to move on with purely recipe refining.

I didn't post yesterday, but I bought a 5 gallon cooler, to build my mash tun. I'll pick up the ball valve, etc., as soon as I am able, but it's really happening. Meanwhile, I'm going to brew up a kit I bought, to tide me over.

Finishing up man cave/brewery clean up. Found stuff for the brewery & car that've been missing for a while. Darn bill, etc clutter. Got some home brews chilling for when smeltz comes over tomorrow afternoon for all my SA bottles, etc. Gotta get pics of the gang as well.:mug:

Met my neighbor, who was brewing a batch in his front yard. Finally, I met someone close to swap beer with...

Got a new mini fridge and filled the CO2 tank up...kegging the Punkin ale I got in the fermentor and brewing a chocolate stout tomorrow

Brewed Pale Ale with my 1st use of Mosaic. The yeast vial over pressured on my hand, find out the results in a few weeks.

That happened to us the first time I used WL yeast. We lost a lot of yeast. Unfortunately, it was for a high gravity porter, and fermentation stalled out. Took a couple attempts and help from the good folks here on HBT to get it down close to the target final gravity, but it all turned out okay eventually.

Transferred 10 gallons of Barleywine off the yeast and into aging fermenter. Then scrubbed down the ferm freezer, cleaned fermenters, then ran the keg washer through the dish washer.

Jut finished up with a wonderful little visit with the smeltz's (what I'll call them here). Very nice young couple that remind me of us when we were their age. His wife was polite & very gracious in snapping a few pics of her hubby & me. Gave'em a mixed 6'r to enjoy later as well as a small car load of booty. It was most enjoyable to meet another of you at long last! :rockin:

Back