Hops (Centennial) in Austin, Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXHops

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised how well my hops are doing although we've been wetter and cooler than normal here in Austin. I planted Centennial hops a few months ago & they're now 12 feet high in spots. I'm a newbie hops grower so any suggestions on how to keep them going strong would be appreciated. I'm in central Austin, in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

image1.JPG

What are your growing conditions? What kind of soil, water and fertilization schedule? Where are they in development, have they started to develop burrs?

Haven't done any fertilizing. Water every other day. I'm not sure what burrs look like. Right now it's just vines and leaves.

Going to bump this for an update on any other Austin hop growers! I've had mine in small containers for the first year. I ordered crowns instead of rhizomes. I originally planted them back in April. I originally wanted Cascade, Chinook and Centennial, but had to swap out cent for Williamette since Great Lakes Hops was out of stock.

Here's one of the crowns:
8kx_vbh3oEShx1Zlf5u3G-sTUxW17B-Pgoqva2m_ZcM=w538-h955-no

They sprouted in about a week and quickly reached the heights shown in this pic (Cascade, Williamette, Chinook):
A0NLVWwH_1Nd8NOKC1LRpyaxlCQXC4XotHa1YZGF6dI=w538-h955-no

However, things stalled out there as we had the May/June monsoon season. I also had a rouge caterpillar eat most of the Cascade leaves. After the sun returned, I was a lot of new bines started. I also began using a watering can per day, with some miracle grow for nitrogen once a week. Eventually, I'll move to compost. I also moved the pots by my south fence to increase light exposure.
(Cascade, Williamette, Chinook)
iBo6QZOfXeTIjRbLQmGBn07AKbm0_J1pU8ANRSYMGF0=w1698-h955-no

Cascade has been doing the best. It developed burs in early July, and has a good number of cones now:
W0ZIzeRG5IElu8ethweebBfXS83z_bSBBAQbl7yrrqo=w538-h955-no

_AC7grtg1R1LwvMUst8LwtM6i9IopLdZe1n43LgpH1M=w538-h955-no

Williamette has really kicked off this past week, gaining about a foot, with a few new bines:
2HOFRuhNT88whAUv-1suSWr3wAFTpb2SQIUAnlfsJEA=w538-h955-no

Chinook is creeping along, with more growth recently:
pruGECQtJrDgdGJIplOC7poBVYZ3XCDAB1I-98HO42I=w538-h955-no

Latest posts

Back