I wish I liked bitter beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
because then I would be in heaven. I have an altbier that is bitter, almost like an IPA, and it is kegged. Is there anyway now to take some of that bitterness out of the beer or do I just give it to my hop-headed friend to drink?
Thank you in advance.

Waiting will give the hop acids time to mellow out. We are talking weeks to months. Of you could sweeten the beer by adding some splenda or other unfermentable sugar. The bitterness flavor perceived is better viewed as a low sweet:bitter ratio.

Wait. I did a quasi-alt that was too bitter, I set it aside for like eight months and it's wonderful. All the malty goodness comes through now, it's much less harsh, much more balanced.

chillHayze said:
Waiting will give the hop acids time to mellow out. We are talking weeks to months. Of you could sweeten the beer by adding some splenda or other unfermentable sugar. The bitterness flavor perceived is better viewed as a low sweet:bitter ratio.
How much unfermentable sugars would I need for 4 gallons and how long would I need to wait before drinking it?

the_bird said:
I set it aside for like eight months
Was it in bottles or kegged?

Thank you all for such fast response. I just kegged this beer Thursday night and tried it this morning. I have a party going on today and was hoping that I could sweeten it up by then, 4 hours from now, but I do not think that is going to happen :(

Back