Yeast Generation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys just making sure I'm thinking straight...

I brewed a hefe back in April and dropped it on the yeast cake of a previous hefe. That would mean it's gen 2 right?

Now I really don't like this hefe (I think it's because it was a PM with maybe questionable LME) so tonight I dumped 23 of the bottles. While doing so I dumped the yeast at the bottom of the bottle into a 1500ml starter solution.

When the starter ferments out would it be gen 3? And when I use it next (planning on a cider) would that be gen 4?

Even if I only get 1 batch out of this yeast thats cool bc it's basicly free yeast.

Thanks guys!

Yeah thats my question...does a small fermentation mean it's gone to the next generation?

By the way...if it matters...I'm planning on letting the starter ferment all the way out.

greenhornet said:
Yeah thats my question...does a small fermentation mean it's gone to the next generation?
Not in my book. I consider it having "passed on" when the newly procreated yeast far outnumber the exisintg yeast. In a small starter, that won't happen.

greenhornet said:
I brewed a hefe back in April and dropped it on the yeast cake of a previous hefe. That would mean it's gen 2 right?

IMHO, No. Same yeast, same generation, new supply of food. That said, if you plan to reuse this same cake 3-4 times, count the fermentations.

greenhornet said:
While doing so I dumped the yeast at the bottom of the bottle into a 1500ml starter solution.

Welcome to Gen 2. You took a small sample and massively grew it. 99% of the cells are newly spawned and not reused.

greenhornet said:
When the starter ferments out would it be gen 3

No. That starter is full of Gen 2 cells.

greenhornet said:
And when I use it next (planning on a cider) would that be gen 4?

By my previous definition, maybe (many new cells, but not 99%). By conventional wisdom, no. The yeast cake is Gen 2. However, when you save a sample in a tube, that sample of gen 2 will be used to create a Gen3 starter. Hence, I would mark that tube Gen 3.

I always taste the fermented beer in the starter flask to be sure it is tasting right before using it in a brew. If it is not bad then, it is OK to use. As long as a starter is good, the beer will be good unless you introduce an infection by not being absolutely sanitary. Starsan does a really good job and make sure to clean everything well with PBW first.

So after this starter has fermented out it is still Gen 2?

doesn't REALLY matter...like I said it's "free" at this point and if I get anything out of it then thats cool

Thanks for your help guys

If you want to follow convention for commercial brewers, the original hefe is gen 1, your second hefe would be gen 2 and your cider would be gen 3. Yeast "generations" are not normally counted in yeast propagation steps.

Dr Malt:)

Back