Lost my filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbcaleb

Reaction score
Well I lost the filter for my funnel and did not have time to get a new one. I hoped that the hop pellets would not create that much of a problem but it seems to have created a 1-1.5" layer at the bottom after I racked into the carboy and caused fermentation to take over 24 hours. This was a simple extract oktobefest with a steep grain bag and 2oz Hallertau hops. While it is fermenting now and all the hops have been pushed to the top, im wondering if I should toss the batch because of the long start of fermentation and likely of possibly contamination due to the long start of fermentation. I used a Kolsch Ale yeast and ran out of DME and could not make a starter so had to pitch directly. Any ideas?:confused:

RDWHAHB. The layers (both top and bottom) are nothing to worry about. Do not toss it!!!! Leave it in primary for a week, transfer into secondary for two weeks or more, bottle and rest for 10-15 days, chill, drink, and congratulate yourself.

When you are transferring from primary to secondary, try not to stir up the sediment. The same when bottling.

Don't be upset. Losing your funnel filter was a blessing in disguise. If the filter had been in place, it would have clogged up with hop pellet trub in about 2 seconds! The trub in the bottom of your primary will not hurt anything.

On my first brew, I was almost in tears at the amount of "crap" that would end up in my beer. I didn't use any kind of filtering.

I racked to the secondary with care. :)

Racked to the keg with care.

Drinking good, smooth beer. :)

This batch will be fine, just rack carefully. And next time, look into a nylon hop bag, I've found that works much better for hop particles than the strainer.

Back