Microbrewery business plan where to start...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It my dream and very serious about it..I'm in the service active duty and iam getting out...idk where to start on a business plan... Lol...need some guidance

Poking for some guidance and help to start my business plan... I'm in the service and getting out and wanna do my dream job lol.. Idk where to even start..

You start by getting a job at a microbrewery. Two reasons....you need to learn the business and you need money.

Money wise you need enough to cover an entire year of expenses before you even sign a lease. That's everything from rent to equipment to salaries.... You will need a loan at some point to cover this seed money and no one will lend to someone without experience.

Billy356 said:
You start by getting a job at a microbrewery. Two reasons....you need to learn the business and you need money.

Money wise you need enough to cover an entire year of expenses before you even sign a lease. That's everything from rent to equipment to salaries.... You will need a loan at some point to cover this seed money and no one will lend to someone without experience.

Thanks bro.. I understand that

Yea I checked it out awesome site..i read the article on the girl that started her brewery... Just trying to reach an audience and get the best results lol..wanna know the facts because I'm a business man and love doing what I do of course! and ur a big help for sure

It my dream and very serious about it..I'm in the service active duty and iam getting out...idk where to start on a business plan... Lol...need some guidance

Seriously man quit trolling on here......obviously since no one responded to your 5 other threads on the subject we just can't help you. 99% of us here a just homebrewers, the ones who have transitioned to brewing professionally have posted threads about it. Search for those threads as I am too lazy to link them for you right now.

I have two pieces of wisdom for you from your many new threads on this subject ( bad form by the way posting everywhere to ask a single vague question).

First, if you want people to take you seriously stop lol'ing at the thought of starting your own business. If you can't take your self srious no one else will.

Secondly, going at a new business with no experience is definitely going at it the hard way so I would also suggest getting some experience at a brewery. Many small brewerys are often willing to take on volinteers as well and can be quite forthcoming with their wealth of knowledge.

it is expensive so here are a few pointers to get you started:

-first of all save money by building a very small system and just brewing over and over again to meet demand.
-cleaning, sanitation, temperature control, and yeast handling are all over-rated so save money in those areas where you can.
-when developing your beer recipes a good rule of thumb is to take a classic style and just increase the alcohol by 5%.

If you have any questions then start this same thread in a new forum and I will try to get to it.

Research everything involved. Business, finances, how you could get a loan, the equipment itself, logistics, state/local/federal licensing/regulations/inspections, etc etc etc. Starting real small, <5bbl, is not ideal if you want to turn a profit and succeed. If you are successful at all, you'll either need to upgrade in no time (which is a pain in the ass and expensive on an industrial scale compared to homebrew) or you will go under most likely. Granted location determines a lot as well. Nano-breweries don't seem to do well in the long run. Like he said, learn the business.

So many people have the idea in their head, but don't fully understand what all it entails to startup, and keep running. Research until your head hurts, then see how excited you still are about it.

Tour the nearest micro brewery im sure they have all the info to get you started in the right direction. And you get to tour a brewery :ban:. The FDA might even be able to help, they helped get me the needed info to take my hot sauce to market. Also getting an idea(not buying but thinking) about where youd like to be located that will be financially feasible, have needed space with room to expand, and is gonna pass all government regulations and inspection. Just my thoughts if it helps any.

truebe said:
it is expensive so here are a few pointers to get you started:

-first of all save money by building a very small system and just brewing over and over again to meet demand.
-cleaning, sanitation, temperature control, and yeast handling are all over-rated so save money in those areas where you can.
-when developing your beer recipes a good rule of thumb is to take a classic style and just increase the alcohol by 5%.

If you have any questions then start this same thread in a new forum and I will try to get to it.

I would start on a 1/6bbl set up at home for a few years to see how far this advice will get you. I'm gonna say not very far

There was a free ebook on Amazon a few days ago...A Brewer's Guide to Opening a Nanobrewery, by Dan Woodske. Had a rough overview of a business plan.

Having worked as a professional brewer, I advise you to raise serious capital. For a micro, you should look for at least $500k. Just a simple 12 head bottling line can cost over $150k.

Take these guys seriously when they recommend you volunteer. It is the only way to get experience in many markets. Brewer's budgets are tight and will trade experience and beer for your labor.

The FDA is not likely to be the regulatory agency. In GA we were under the department of agriculture. They did the sanitary process inspections. Remember, according to our government beer is not food.

The FDA is not likely to be the regulatory agency. In GA we were under the department of agriculture. They did the sanitary process inspections. Remember, according to our government beer is not food.

I agree completely. But I assume they should know whos department that its covered by and be able to tell you who to talk to.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Tour the nearest micro brewery im sure they have all the info to get you started in the right direction. And you get to tour a brewery :ban:. The FDA might even be able to help, they helped get me the needed info to take my hot sauce to market. Also getting an idea(not buying but thinking) about where youd like to be located that will be financially feasible, have needed space with room to expand, and is gonna pass all government regulations and inspection. Just my thoughts if it helps any.

Thanks

don't tell people you wash your balls in your beer. they seem not to enjoy it so much, after that. even though your balls might be thrilled.

spearko520 said:
don't tell people you wash your balls in your beer. they seem not to enjoy it so much, after that. even though your balls might be thrilled.

Lol

Back