bottle conditioning forever....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
I have 3 beers bottle conditioning right now. they are all fully carbed, but they all have a little cloudyness and are clearly not finished. Haven't payed to much attention to them. 2 of them have been bottled for 2+ months and 1 for 6 weeks. they haven't seen any fridge time yet so they all just got put in there. should the fridge help them out? I've never had this happen before, normally my beers are cleared up before I fridge them.

Depends on the yeast. Some yeast is low flocculating and will not settle well. What yeast did you use? Refridgerating the beer will help it settle.

wlp001 on all 3. last week the beers tasted bandaid like and today the bandaid taste is gone but it still doesn't taste like beer. Getting pretty frustrated.

Were they extract or AG? Chlorine/chloromines cause this reaction. But I remember reading things about AG processes that can cause this as well. Still trying to get a handle on this grain stuff myself. More ways to mess up...

"Band-aid taste" is sometimes caused my chloro-somethin or others. What'd you use to sanitize?

As for the cloudiness, when did you add the extract to the boil and did you use whirlfloc/irish moss/any clearing agents? Refrigeration might help it, and it might take awhile to clear up in the fridge.

its not that they are cloudy that bothers me. they taste bad and they are my only cloudy beers I've made. I use Iodaphor as a sanitizer. My first beer ever was cloudy when i tried it 4 weeks after i bottled it, but then a week later they cleared up perfectly and tasted great. I just don't understand how these can be in the bottles for so long and not taste good or look good yet.

Usually because the mash or sparge water is too hot and extracts tannins. Sanitize everything and control the temps from dough-in to bottle, and you won't have many worries.

they're extract.

band-aid sounds like the worst flavor ever, i hope it got better and not worse.

there a little green and the flavors are everywhere. I'm taking 2 bottles of each to the brew store next to my house after I finish all my BS tomorrow. They'll know whats up.

Back