How much money and time does it take to build a "son of a fermentation chiller?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
I've been debating building one because running your AC all summer long is wayyyy to expensive, especially when I'm not home. I've got a cooler closet but it probably gets up to 75 degrees regularly.

First, I've never built one...
Second, most folks here are likely to tell you they need more info to answer your questions.
Like: do you have ANY material to start with, do you have ANY tools, do you have ANY skills?

Third, my smarta$$ answer;
Money: $0 - $5,000,000, depending on if you are Sanford & Son or the US Government
Time: 20 Minutes - 20 Years, depending on if you are a NASA Engineer or Homer Simpson

Hopefully someone will come along with some info you can actually use. In the meantime you might start thinking about answers to questions about what you have to work with.

If you are just building the plain jane version, maybe an hour or two tops depending on how handy you are. As far as cost, ~$50-75 depending on what you have lying around and how many things you need to re-purchace due to screw ups and the like... The one I built (see link in sig) took me a couple days and a couple hundred bucks but no ice bottles and no troubles, plus it holds my books :)

Well I live in the city in a 2 bedroom apartment. So no, I don't have a lumber pile out in the back forty or insulation sitting around in the tractor shed!

I don't have a power drill, however, I think I can maybe get away without having to use one. I'm somewhat handy, I'm no flippin' Bob Villa but I can most definitely construct something like this.

I was more so looking for anecdotal evidence of people who have built one.

I've forgotten exactly how much it cost to build mine, but the main expenses were the sheet of 2" thick extruded polystyrene and the analog thermostat. I'd put a maximum ceiling of around 60 bucks on the project, and I was able to complete it in about an afternoon.

I built the mother of fermentation chiller and completed it in 3 hours and it cost me $50

It was quite easy but, remember this, use a serrated knife to cut it.

Best thing to cut the foam board is (other then hot knife) an electric carving knife! Does wonders and cuts real clean.

I was going to build one, but figured it would wind up being a hassle to keep going right (I travel a lot) and would wind up with a fridge solution anyways.
So thats what I did.

I can't tell you how much I spent on mine because I didn't follow the plans exactly.

You see, I glued the pink stuff to plywood and made a giant ice box. I didn't add the divider or the fan, etc. Just a giant box. I also put it on a dolly so I can wheel it around the garage very easily. I also lined it with some silver sponge-type tape and another silver foil tape.

I also put a wooden top on it (over the pink stuff). I also dug out a round section (recess) in the pink stuff and inserted a long thermometer into it. When I lift the top off I can read the thermometer. Since it is closer to the top of the chamber the lower section is cooler by 2 degrees.

I put a primary in there the other night with 3 1/2 gallons of frozen water(jugs) at 80F. Two hours later it was 66F, 2 hours later it was 60, two hours later it was 54F. It's been there for 2 days and the ice is still there albeit almost melted. I'll change them out in the morning.

Without the wall and fan you can place 2 primary buckets in there at the same time.

I made a top that looks more like a panel door that I will be tiling. I plan on making another top of similar design, but adding a twin tower to it since 3 kegs will fit nicely. ;)

I can't tell you how much I spent on mine because I didn't follow the plans exactly.

You see, I glued the pink stuff to plywood and made a giant ice box. I didn't add the divider or the fan, etc. Just a giant box. I also put it on a dolly so I can wheel it around the garage very easily. I also lined it with some silver sponge-type tape and another silver foil tape.

I also put a wooden top on it (over the pink stuff). I also dug out a round section (recess) in the pink stuff and inserted a long thermometer into it. When I lift the top off I can read the thermometer. Since it is closer to the top of the chamber the lower section is cooler by 2 degrees.

I put a primary in there the other night with 3 1/2 gallons of frozen water(jugs) at 80F. Two hours later it was 66F, 2 hours later it was 60, two hours later it was 54F. It's been there for 2 days and the ice is still there albeit almost melted. I'll change them out in the morning.

Without the wall and fan you can place 2 primary buckets in there at the same time.

I made a top that looks more like a panel door that I will be tiling. I plan on making another top of similar design, but adding a twin tower to it since 3 kegs will fit nicely. ;)

Sounds like a pretty simple fermentation cooler, I like it.

Someone on the forum built a super simple fermentation chamber just using foam and an A/C vent. I'm drawing a blank on who it was, but basically it was just a foam box sitting on top of the vent. If you were able to go that route, you'd only be out the cost of the foam and adhesive.

The problem I face with a fermentation chamber is that the relative humidity is pretty high where I live. A chamber with ice works, but the sweating is a mess because I don't run the AC full time to dry out the air. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Back