First "True" PM How long does it take to batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wickster

Reaction score
I builty a cooler 3Gal MLT using SS braid and did an Oatmeal stout over the weekend. Other than needing a better thermometer I think it went well. I was 2 or 3 pts below my target OG.

But I"m not sure if I had a "stuck" sparge or not. After a minute or so the flow from my spigot was a trickle and there was still some puddled liquid sitting on top of the grain bed from when I recirculated the wort. So I closed the valve stirred up the mash again and recirculated with very little wort and let it drain again. But it was very slow again and trickled to nothing. I also got a lot less wort out than I was expecting.

My questions are:
1) How long does it take to batch sparge?

2) Is the flow typically fairly slow?

3) What % of wort (mash and sparge water) should I expect to get?

FWIW:

Partial Mash of 5.5lbs mix of 2-row, chocalate, roasted barley and flaked oats.

1.5 gal 154deg 60 min mash
1.5 gal 165deg 10 batch sparge

the_wickster said:
1) How long does it take to batch sparge?
I put the sparge water in, stir, let settle for 10 minutes and drain.
2) Is the flow typically fairly slow?
The flow rate should be almost as fast as if you were draining water without the grain in.
3) What % of wort (mash and sparge water) should I expect to get?
Not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about how much should the grain absorb?
FWIW:

Partial Mash of 5.5lbs mix of 2-row, chocalate, roasted barley and flaked oats.

1.5 gal 154deg 60 min mash
1.5 gal 165deg 10 batch sparge

Depending on the recipe and the size of the mash tun some people mash then batch sparge 1,2 or even 3 times.

What are the exact amounts of each grain in that 5.5 lbs? A high percentage of the oats in the grist may cause a stuck sparge. Since you're only mashing 5.5lbs, I would think this could be quite high.

I'll take a guess that you used one lb, which puts it at 18%. I've heard above 10% will cause a stuck sparge if not taken care of in some other manner.

Psuedo - yes 1 lb of flaked oats. rest was barely of some type or another.

Orfy - For the water yes I wondering how much is lost to the grains.

And the flow seemed quite a bit slower than if there were no grains. Hence my question about how long the sparge should take. (not the rest but to actucally drain through) i.e. A few seconds to minutes or longer

Back