Sanke Keg - Clean in Place System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduane

Reaction score
I'd like to build a CIP cleaning system for 1/6bbl sanke kegs. I'm going based off of this system for cleaning a corny keg: http://***********/stories/projects...t-yourself/471-clean-in-place-system-for-kegs

Basically, i don't want to have to remove the spear to clean it, and i want to use as little PBW and starsan as possible. The problem is that solution is for a corny keg which has a much smaller beer-out tube, meaning it sprays a lot harder even with a smaller pump.

The idea is t have the keg upside down, pump cleaning solution in through the beer-out line, and pump it back out through the CO2 inline. I would have to remove the checkvalves from a coupler.

Any thoughts on what kind of pump to use? I'd imagine i need one with a pretty good flow rate to have it coat all of the walls and not just trickle down the spear seeing that the spear is much larger in diameter than a corny pickup-tube.

I'm using a 1hp sub pump that I got from Lowes last summer. http://www.lowes.com/pd_313510-48284-58321-UTL1_0__?productId=3339062&Ntt=sub+pump&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dsub%2Bpump%26Ns%3Dp_product_price|0&facetInfo=

I'm using it for closed-system cleaning. I run hot water through the keg until it runs clean, then recycle PBW for about 5-10mins, rinse again with clean water, then recirculate star-san for 5mins. The first dozen or so kegs I cleaned, I removed the spear for inspection. All spotless, now I don't even bother to disassemble.

I'm using a 1hp sub pump that I got from Lowes last summer. http://www.lowes.com/pd_313510-48284-58321-UTL1_0__?productId=3339062&Ntt=sub+pump&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dsub%2Bpump%26Ns%3Dp_product_price|0&facetInfo=

I'm using it for closed-system cleaning. I run hot water through the keg until it runs clean, then recycle PBW for about 5-10mins, rinse again with clean water, then recirculate star-san for 5mins. The first dozen or so kegs I cleaned, I removed the spear for inspection. All spotless, now I don't even bother to disassemble.

Nice, but quite pricey. Is there any concern of small amounts of oil/grease getting into the keg? Do you do the "upsidedown" method to have the water/solution/sanitizer spray the bottom and run down the sides?

Wonder if anybody with a marchpump here could perform an experiment and see how high the march pump can project water straight up in the air through a 7/8-1" diameter tube. I'd like to get a food safe pump if possible so i could also use it for transferring wort.

I've been reasearching this somewhat heavily. I got in contact with "WalterAtMarchPump" who has been extremely helpful :mug: and also a brewer at the new Witch's Hat brewpub in Ann Arbor, MI.

Walter was kind enough to take time out of his day to test some things for me. He hooked up their "815-PL-C" to pump through about 5 feet of 1/2 ID hose, then into about 2 feet of 1" ID hose going straight up (a keg spear is about 2 feet and has an ID just under 1"). It was able to project liquid 2-3 inches upwards.

I wasn't sure if this was enough to get the liquid to run down the sides of a 1/6 bbl keg, so I also contacted a new local micro brewery in South Lyon, MI called "Witch's Hat Brewing Co.". I spoke with a guy (sorry, forgot your name!) who was very helpful. He said they will use a 1/25hp march pump to pump caustic solution, then water, then sanitizer through the sanke coupler/spear basically just as i describe. They do then open the kegs for inspection but he says its just a precaution, they have always been 100% clean.

So it seems one of these 1/25hp pumps should do the trick, and now i don't have to invest in 2 different pumps!

Thanks to everybody who provided feedback and suggestions here, once I get all the equipment together, i will post all the details of the setup and let you know how it went (it'll be a while).

Latest posts

Back