Soon to be all grain brewer I hope...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
Im currently doing partial mash batches but would really like the control and experience of all grain. I was reading the other other day that to do all grain you boil your whole 5 gal batch therefore you need a much larger kettle. Can you do an all grain batch the same as a partial mash and brew a small concentrated amount them dilute with water in the carboy?

What you can do is boil-down smaller batches. Boil 3.5 gallons down to 3.0, then toss in 2 gallons, boil it down to 4.0 gallons, toss in a 5th gallon, boil it down to 4.5. Etc.

7 is really going to be pushing it for a 5 gallon batch. You could always just do like a 3.5 or 4 gallon batch, there's nothing set in stone that says you HAVE to do 2.5, 5, or 10 gallon batches. I use the BIAB method and just did a 2.5 gallon batch in my 5 gallon pot, but I think it can handle 3 gallons, so that'll be my next sized batch.
What method are you planning on using? BIAB or a more traditional method?

There is so thread on here that talks about kettle size. It says that 7.5 is big enough to do a full boil for pretty much any 5 gallon batch. Turkey fryers boil off about a gallon an hour. The only thing you really need to watch for is boil overs.

I'm able to boil my 5 gallon all grain batches in a 32 quart kettle... If you also use fermcap you'll not need to worry about having as much head space in the pot, since you won't get foam-over. With that, I could boil 7.5 gallons in my 8 gallon kettle...

Also look at aluminum stock pots. Properly conditioned, they're an affordable alternative to new SS pots...

^Where do you guys get your pots? Its IMPOSSIBLE to find a pot larger than 16qts anywhere but at the LHBS.

Sears, Macy's, Linens N' Things, Kitchens Etc., Bed Bath and Beyond...none of these places carry anything brew-kettle worthy.

At my LHBS, you can buy a 20qt SS pot for $43.95, or you can get a 24qt SS pot for $173.95. :facepalm:

RMitch said:
^Where do you guys get your pots? Its IMPOSSIBLE to find a pot larger than 16qts anywhere but at the LHBS.

Sears, Macy's, Linens N' Things, Kitchens Etc., Bed Bath and Beyond...none of these places carry anything brew-kettle worthy.

At my LHBS, you can buy a 20qt SS pot for $43.95, or you can get a 24qt SS pot for $173.95. :facepalm:

Homebrewheaven.com they carry 9 gal ss pots for 90 bucks. I ran into the same issue until my dad came across this tonight.

FarmerJoe said:
7 is really going to be pushing it for a 5 gallon batch. You could always just do like a 3.5 or 4 gallon batch, there's nothing set in stone that says you HAVE to do 2.5, 5, or 10 gallon batches. I use the BIAB method and just did a 2.5 gallon batch in my 5 gallon pot, but I think it can handle 3 gallons, so that'll be my next sized batch.
What method are you planning on using? BIAB or a more traditional method?

I'm planning the traditional style or brewing. I have my mash tun already

Here is an eleven gallon SS for 99.00 with free shipping. I do 5 gallon batches in my 7.5 pot, I really gotta keep an eye on it early in the boil but no boil overs yet!

MRbutlertron said:
Here is an eleven gallon SS for 99.00 with free shipping. I do 5 gallon batches in my 7.5 pot, I really gotta keep an eye on it early in the boil but no boil overs yet!

You have a link?

I got mine from a restaurant supplier...

If you look on CraigsList you can sometimes score good pots for cheap money... Sometimes even kegs/keggles too...

Latest posts

Back