Fermentation WILL NOT START

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermontFreedom

Reaction score
I juiced about 50 pounds of apples to produce 3+ full gallons of raw juice/cider. I racked it a couple of times while it was still just the pressed juice to get rid of a lot of sediment.

It started to ferment on it's own, so I added about 2 crushed campden tablets to the carboy and let it sit for a full 48 hours with NO AIRLOCK to prevent the HSO2 from escaping.

I tried to proof a packet of refrigerated Lavlin K1V-1116 (expiration date in 2008) with no effect, so I pitched it anyway. Must was about 66 degrees.

NO ACTIVITY within 24 hours.

So I put a heating pad under the carboy. It's now about 70-72 degrees.

I proofed a packed of refrigerated Lavlin 71B-1122 (expiration 2008), but it's reaction rate was ANEMIC! I pitched it anyway. That was 5 hours ago and it hasn't done a damn thing.

I'll give it another 24 hours.

I have sufficient sugar, yeast nutrient and yeast energizers in the must.

I proofed a packet of 71B-1122 from the same lot, stored in the same way a week ago and the apple wine it's in is fermenting vigorously.

What do I do if fermentation isn't starting???

Did you get an OG of the juice before the wild yeasts started to ferment it? Have you added any other sugars to it?

Yes, the OG was higher than any other concoction I've ever made 1.08-something!

As per recipe, I added about 2 lbs sugar per gallon.

I just had a peach wine that took over a week to get going. My wine guy told me I most likely over sulphited it(campden), and it would take awhile for this to break down. Make sure it's airated properly and give it a good stir every other day. Good luck.

I let the campden work for 48 hours - 24 hours longer than usually recommended, so I think that had little effect.

I pitched my first packet of yeast after an attempted proofing (it never started) and it never started in the must. So I pitched a second packet, which started VERY slowly, but then, 24 hours after that second pitching, took off. Now, 36 hours after second pitching, it's going gangbusters. I hope I didn't overpitch!!

And I mispoke when earlier said my 1.086 OG was higher than anything else. Looking back over my records, I see OG in the 1.133 and 1.176 ranges for other things, notably ice wine!

Bottom line is I need to learn a little patience.

It does happen sometimes where you think it's never going to start fermenting despite everything being 'text book perfect'.

VermontFreedom said:
Bottom line is I need to learn a little patience.
You did fine! :D

Back