Bottles on airplane??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdracera1

Reaction score
Anyone ever traveled with some of their bottled brew? I was thinking about taking a 6 pack back home with me for my family to sample but was wondering about the pressures.....

Thoughts?

:tank:

I wouldn't think that in this day in age they would let you bring glass bottles on with your carry on luggage. Seems to me that if nail clippers of all things are a no, then glass would be too.

You wouldn't have to worry about pressure changes even if you checked them though. I would just be worried about all the joslting as the bags are loaded/unloaded etc.

Someone oughta try and carry on a primary.
Extra points if you rack during the beverage service.

But seriously has anyone checked a full corny?

Just a little information that falls under the catagory of no one really cares but here goes.

Most of the airlines actually have a rule that you cannot bring any alcohol (even for transport purposes) onto their aircraft that is under 14% ABV. The reason, they don't want you bringing your own beer and cutting into their 5$ piss water sales. Note, this is airline policy and not federal. However, I have never seen this enforced (though once I saw a guy open his own beer from his carry on and the flight attendant asked him to put it away . . . never saw anyone chug a bottle that fast).

Having said that, I am taking a bunch of homebrew to the East Coast for thanksgiving . . . each will have a label taped on saying 15% ABV. You know, just in case.

I've been told that I cannot drink it on board and I say that I know, it's for souvenoir purposes.

Of course, nothing was said when I handcarried 2 minikegs back from Germany last year, plus I had 2 more in my check-in...:D

There's no problem bringing bottles on board. The only time I've been refused was when flying the week after 9/11. A month later it was fine. I have had a flask emptied out at the security station, however (not officially sealed, so I could have spiked my cokes on board).

Pressurized bottles such as beer, however, will indeed cause quite a mess in an unpressurized hold depending on the level of carbonation, the altitude, and the strength of the cap. Fortunately, passenger airliner holds are pressurized.

missing said:
Having said that, I am taking a bunch of homebrew to the East Coast for thanksgiving . . . each will have a label taped on saying 15% ABV. You know, just in case.

Doah, all fun and games until the stewardess pulls out a hydrometer for anaylsis;)

missing said:
...Just a little information that falls under the catagory of no one really cares but here goes....Most of the airlines actually have a rule that you cannot bring any alcohol (even for transport purposes) onto their aircraft that is under 14% ABV....
You can't bring Stroh's Rum from Austria either...it's 180 proof. Too flammable.:mad:

Anyone able to find the airline's policy on this at all? I did a breif search and didn't turn up anything. Having a copy of the policy as you board could go a long way toward getting any problems resolved.

It's notable that often times the TSA implements policies that aren't nessicarily law. So we might have to dig up the TSA policies on carry on alcohol as well to be sure.

me and my buddies cart bottles of tequila to Las Vegas all the time. No one (Airline personnel, TSA, etc) has ever made any comment at all about it.

-walker

That only proves they were lazy/busy/distracted. I have boarded a plane with a pocket knife (accidentally) on 2 occasions. A friend of mine who travels for work had a leatherman in his laptop bag for 8 weeks following 9/11 before he found it.

Things are often ignored or overlooked by TSA/airline staff.

kornkob said:
Anyone able to find the airline's policy on this at all? I did a breif search and didn't turn up anything. Having a copy of the policy as you board could go a long way toward getting any problems resolved.

It's notable that often times the TSA implements policies that aren't nessicarily law. So we might have to dig up the TSA policies on carry on alcohol as well to be sure.

This is what I dug up when I was bringing beer for Thanksgiving.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/restrictedArticles.jhtml

Alcoholic beverages in retail packages may be checked as baggage or carried on board, but are limited to five liters per passenger providing that following conditions are met:

* The receptacle (bottle, can, etc.) does not exceed 5 liters.
* The alcohol does not exceed 70 percent by volume (140 proof).

Alcoholic beverages under 24 percent by volume (most beers and wines) are not restricted. Opened containers are only allowed if they are re-closed and packed properly. Customs regulations by country may limit the amount of alcohol you may be transport. Please check ahead of time to ensure that you are in compliance with these limits.

For a complete list of items prohibited by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) please refer to www.tsa.gov*.

- magno

I carried on a 6 pack last Thursday with no problems. The guys at the security checkpoint were messing with me and telling me that one of the bottles looked like it was going to start leaking soon so I should drink it. The US Air people didn't give me any problems either. A couple people asked where I got the 6-pack carrier (Total Wine, i think).

On a side note, does US Air delay every flight? I hate that airline. :mad:

Rdracera1 said:
Anyone ever traveled with some of their bottled brew? I was thinking about taking a 6 pack back home with me for my family to sample but was wondering about the pressures.....

Thoughts?

:tank:

I have taken a case (in the box), and checked it with the bagage inside a cooler. I put a pillow in the top to prevent the bottles from moving around, then I taped the thing shut like a hurricane was going to blow it open. They made a three hour trip just fine.

Latest posts

Back