organic vs additive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amasterjedi

Reaction score
Hello i have read a few posts now and all you guys in the US and Canada seem to be additive crazy when it comes to your cider, has anyone tried natural fermentation it would be nice to hear what you think. Thanks

Thanks for your opinion. I prefer to think that I use a known good yeast that I know will give be the flavors I am looking for. Wild yeast are an unknown and I cant be sure it will give me what I want.

Thanks but Ill stay additive crazy. you know how we yanks are.

I certainly didn't take offense. I would love to try the wild yeast route, having said that, I doubt I will be doing more then one batch of it every year or two. I like the consistency of bred yeasts. Also the risks in capturing the wild yeast can capture some other bugs as well, and you just have to hope you get a good one.

Funny, I never thought of cultured, store-bought yeast as an "additive." I always considered additives to be things like sulfites, artificial sweeteners, sorbate, etc... I've tried fermenting without sulfites once, just to be as natural as possible (less the wild yeast of course) and had a terrible time of it. The must developed "flowers of wine" & I ended up having to buy a filter to save the must. I know others have gone the 100% organic/natural/wild route & had great success, but I think I'll stick to store-bought yeast & sulfites. Regards, GF.

Thanks, Firstnten that article is very interesting. You say you have a good understanding of biochemistry and fermentation so you must be able to come up with some great recipes keep us posted please. Thanks again

Back