Partial boil OG vs. Full boil OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
First off, I wish to give props to everyone of you. I have learned a great deal in the couple months I have been hanging out here. This is such a great resource. Thanks, guys and gals!

I have been doing extract kits. I have just recently got a 7.5 gallon SS pot and started doing full boils.

Just about every kit I have seen have instructions for a partial boil. I have heard that full boils make better beers, so have been trying my hand at it.

Sooo onto my question. How does doing a full boil affect the OG when it would normally be calculated for a partial boil? Thanks.

My answer is just a long way to subscribe so I can find out too.

From what I read, going to a full boil effects color and hops utilization. You will get a lighter colored beer and greater hops utilization with a full boil. Your OG should not be effected by your pot size. However, your boil off will rate will effect your OG if you don't hit your final volume. Boil off is a related to the pot shape and the heat being applied. Larger surface area (short fat pot), more boil off. Lots of heat, more boil off.

My answer is just a long way to subscribe so I can find out too.

From what I read, going to a full boil effects color and hops utilization. You will get a lighter colored beer and greater hops utilization with a full boil. Your OG should not be effected by your pot size. However, your boil off will rate will effect your OG if you don't hit your final volume. Boil off is a related to the pot shape and the heat being applied. Larger surface area (short fat pot), more boil off. Lots of heat, more boil off.

Right.

The short answer is that 5 gallons is 5 gallons. The OG will be the same, if in either case you top off (if needed) to 5 gallons.

okay thanks. i just got a weird gravity reading and was thinking maybe it was due to that. guess not!

Back